Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I get my egg to top temperatures ?

Carnivor T
Carnivor T Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to get to 750 F to sear my steaks last weekend, but could not go higher above 650F.

Used large chunks,cleared airholes from firebox, centered fire from bottom, even blew air through the bottom vent door.

Can someone give me tips

Regards,

JF

ps: I still got the best steaks of my life with 650F :)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    daisy OFF, plenty of lump, plus time

keep the lid shut when lighting the fire, and it'll race to 750+ in maybe 15/20 minutes,
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    That's really all you need.You are really risking your gasket and thermo any higher.Not to mention arm hair and eyebrows :woohoo: But,if you still want to go stupid hot,clean everything out,use all fresh lump,and light it.Leave the dome open until all the lump is burning,then close the dome.No daisy wheel and bottom wide open :woohoo:

008-1-1.jpg
  • Carnivor T
    :ohmy: That cooker is in heat !!!

I would be scared for my gasket...

I think the quantity of lump was the issue, I did not fill the my egg to maximum capacity.

Thank you.
  • Carnivor T
    Thank you,

Plenty was the solution !

PS: love your posts and animation :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If you want to get nuclear temps then go the other direction. Get a good 'lava' looking bed of lump. The temp at lump level on my large is 1180° - actual read.

Then do one of the following:
    . Take your steak and place it directly on the 'lava' glowing lump for 90 seconds, turn and put it on a new spot for another 90 seconds. This procedure works great and often refered to as 'Caveman Style' .

Or

. Get a spider and a cast iron grid or cast iron pan/skillet place it on the spider and wait until it begins to turn white. Sear your steaks as above and then finish cooking.

Other than doing some of the pizza cooks/methods, there is no need to get an egg to ultra high dome temps. - - IMO.

GG
  • Carnivor T
    Thank you GG,

I will moderate my egg to 650 for searing.

Che va piano va sano e lontano- old italian proverb
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I agree GG..anything over 650 is overkill... ;)