Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fan Recommendation for DiqiQ II XLBGE

Options
Big Hairy Dawg
Big Hairy Dawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Friday to everyone.

I am thinking about buying myself a DigiQ II for myself for Father's Day.

I noticed there are a number of fan options available.

The fans range from 4CFM to 25CFM and also have a hook/no hook option. What is the hook for?

Any recommendations for an XL BGE. I do mind spending a little extra to get what is needed but don't want to overkill also.

I'll hang up and listen...

Thanks in advance.
BHD

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    A 10CFM fan would be ideal (you are likely to use 10 only in starting up).

The hook is for mounting the Guru directly onto the fan (which I don't do).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    The 10 is plenty. The "hook" is if you want to attach the brains directly to the fan. I don't like having to bend over so I also bought the 6 ft cord.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    I have the 10 cfm with my large. This seems to be the recommended size.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    I have the 10 cfm with my large. This seems to be the recommended size.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I have the 10 cfm for my xl. For low and slow I shut down the slide gate after the fan to 30 %. Other wise it may run hotter than 238 with out the fan running. I really do not think you would need a 25 CFM fan.
    When I was running the higher temperatures it handled it well. For shorter cooks I do not mess with it. But when you have to hold it for 14 hours than that is when the controller shines. I have the pro 4 but you really do not need the remote. It was nice when I was gone and I called back and asked my wife what the pit temp was and she could just look at it in the living room and not have to go outside.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I have the 10 cfm for my xl. For low and slow I shut down the slide gate after the fan to 30 %. Other wise it may run hotter than 238 with out the fan running. I really do not think you would need a 25 CFM fan.
    When I was running the higher temperatures it handled it well. For shorter cooks I do not mess with it. But when you have to hold it for 14 hours than that is when the controller shines. I have the pro 4 but you really do not need the remote. It was nice when I was gone and I called back and asked my wife what the pit temp was and she could just look at it in the living room and not have to go outside.
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    I have the 10 cfm fan for my larges and the 4 cfm for my medium. I rarely use my DigiQ II unless it is going to be an 18+ hour overnight cook. Can never have enough toys. Also get a Thermapen to go with that!