Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learning to cook high in the dome

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a new toy, a three tier BGE grid last weekend. The top rack is pretty high up in the dome. This worked super well for my first cook with it, a pizza. I've always had difficulty getting the top to brown and this did the trick. Last night I cooked a spatchcock chicken on the top rack with a pan of potatoes, carrots and onions underneath and a pizza stone on the bottom. The dome temp held steady at 375. But the skin burned a little by the time the chicken was done. The chicken had marinated in a mix of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, asian garlic chili sauce and salt. Maybe it was the sugar in the marinade but this was the first time I ever got something to overbrown while doing an indirect cook! I guess I've found a new learning curve to ride.
Paul

Comments

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Maybe the dome is acting like a broiler and reflecting heat right onto the Chicken.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    You are right. The dome radiates a lot of heat once it gets a full load of energy. Other folks have discussed this but I've never messed with it until this past week. Last night's chicken was one of my best, even with the too-dark skin. I'm thinking of other stuff that would benefit from this kind of heat. Bread, maybe.
    Paul
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    FWIW- I think the dome right below the chimney tends to be a hot spot. When I cook vertical chickens (indirect) the top part of the chicken, nearest the chimney, gets the darkest. this is also the part that is closest to fresh air as I cook with the daisy off and chimney wide open.

In my oblong head I've decided it's because the shape of the volume of the Egg forces the heat generated through a small space at the chimney. This intensifies the cooking effect at the high part of the dome. -just my lame-headed opinion, no thermodynamics or real science involved.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yo may never cook low in the egg again.... azrp got me to cooking higher in the dome and if i go any higher i will just be grillin on top of a daisey :woohoo: :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb