Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to store lump

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do the rest of you store your lump? I don't like to just pour the charcoal from the bag because of all the dust that creates - especially the BGE lump. The scoop that I use doesn't work real well getting lump out of the bag, so I have thought about just pouring a bag or two into a large Rubbermaid patio box. What do you do

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Steve-O:[p]I cut the tops off a couple of bags and put them upright in a patio box along with some other grill accessories.
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]Ditto here. I have the Rubbermaid patio box for the lump and another for my tools and such. Much neater that way. They've sat through several heavy Florida T-storms and the lump is bone dry.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I have a rubbermaid trash can with a lid that is small and rectangular in its opening. It holds a twenty lb bag and one feed scoop. I keep the trash can in one of those patio boxes. I can easily pick up the trash can, bring it to the egg, tilt and shake it it to enable the scoop to work. I then put it back in the patio box. Works for me.
  • Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    I got a dog food container that I bought from Target or somewhere. It holds 40 lbs of lump. Not super convient to pour from. I bought a large food scoop to use with it. It does have a rubber seal so it should keep out water if necessary.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=878518&size=md
    <p />Steve-O,
    I keep a handy supply of lump and smoking wood in covered plastic containers right under my Egg. The rest is kept in a shed. I worried at first that the plastic would melt being so close to the bottom of the Egg, but so far it hasn't been a problem. [p]Spring Chicken

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Nice set-up... "Chickie"!! [p]PS....Thanks for the email yesterday!! I live in cypress...NW Houston...how's bout you?[p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • MrTGT
    MrTGT Posts: 7
    Options
    Steve-O,
    My wife bought a galvanized trash can and painted it the same geen as my egg.. Looks nice, keeps the rain out and easy to pour in egg.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Chubby,
    Hey. You're welcome.[p]I live in Spring just off Cypresswood Drive near I-45. I'm a l-o-n-g way from you, but as you know, folks in Houston don't hesitate to drive 30 miles to shop for groceries. I got my large Egg about three years ago from Barbeques Galore on FM 1960. Been enjoying it ever since. A friend of my wife heard so many cooking stories that she got her husband one. His first meal was a large turkey and he said it was the best he had ever made. I don't hear from him much about his cooking now-a-days but I suspect he has greatly improved his skills. I gave him a Polder type themometer like mine but he hasn't said whether or not he used it. I also encouraged him to read The Forum from time to time, but I don't know if he does that either. I suppose its up to you and me to keep this side of town on the BGE map.[p]One of these days I guess us Houston Eggheads should get together for a cook'm-up. Might be fun. If we do I'll have to buy me a small 'cause I ain't even gonna try lugg'n my large around town. Been want'n a small anyway so maybe now's the time to get one.[p]Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine.
    Big Green Egg that is.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA