Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnighter on the SBGE

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so after finding the nice brisket yesterday, the boss told me this morning that she thought that I was cooking ribs. I bought a single rack as a backup in case that the brisket or the pork butt didn't turn out well. Anyway, a trip to Sam's today in the 100 deg heat fixed that problems, because now I have lots of spare ribs for everyone tomorrow.

Looking at the expiration dates on the cuts I bought yesterday, looks like the pork butt will be getting the nod for the cook to start this evening. This will be my first overnighter on the SBGE, so I'll have plenty to report on to everyone in the morning. I'll be trying to tackle a 7+ lb butt on the SBGE for the first time, and I'll be sure to have the newly-acquired remote thermo up and running to monitor the meat temp, in addition to the DigiQ. I'm laughing to myself now, because it'll probably look more like a science experiment than anything resembling a barbecue cookout.

I'll have some pics later on...

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Hehe...gotta laugh when I read the subject line. Tried to see if the roast will fit, but it was too big. 7.58 lbs to be exact. Looks like I'll be cooking brisket and pork butt tonight.

Million dollar question--which one goes on the top level? I'm planning on the pork butt going on the top level with the brisket underneath.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Probably dont need to say it but make sure you load it up :blush: I know you already know that so good luck Mike and looking forward to the pics. My daughters friends loved the brisket we brought over today. Tomorrow's your day to shine.
    PS what time should I be there?? :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Cut it in half and do the rest later
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    I like to cut a large butt into 3 pieces. This gives a lot more of the outside flavor to enjoy.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Not sure why it won't fit?

P1020095.jpg

Keepin in mind...they do shrink a bit?

P1010029-3.jpg

I've done numerous Butts ranging from 6-8.5 lbs on the Small,
    but to date I've never had a problem.

What am I missing...

What is your set-up?

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Lotsa people supposed to come over, man. I'd hate to disappoint!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I'll have to try that next time, when I don't have lots of family and visitors coming over. I think the 100 deg heat was affecting my brain outside. Didn't realize the obvious...
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Thanks, Pat! I've already taken apart and loaded up the LBGE, which I'll be firing up in T-Minus 2hrs for the brisket+butt combo. You're welcome to stop by anytime, too! I'll have pics after daylight, and hopefully the fire will be steady and holding.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in, Chubby--I was a bit disappointed when I put the roast (still in the cellophane wrapper and styrofoam tray) in the SBGE and the thermometer was sticking the meat. I tried rotating the roast around to the thinnest part, but still it was sticking the pork. I use the DigiQ for long low-and-slows and clip the pit probe to the dome thermo. I really like the SBGE for low-temp cooks (fatties especially) because it really doesn't use much lump. I read about how people can make their bag of lump last a month, but the 10 lb bags I buy don't last a week, or maybe two weeks because I'm feeding two eggs.

Regarding the setup, I've got the BGE plate setter and one of tjv's stainless grids. I tell ya, the 100 degree heat was affecting my thinking this afternoon when I was getting the cookers cleaned out and prepared for the stuff later, and I probably should have just cut a notch in the roast to allow the dome thermo probe to not come in contact with the meat. Maybe I should have put the spring clip on the outside. Anyway...I already have the setup ready on the LBGE for a brisket+pork shoulder.

I am still up to the challenge to do an overnighter on the SBGE, so that I can get that punch on my ticket :P How long does a full load of fresh lump burn on a small egg? Do you have to have a chimney started loaded on standby to replenish the fuel? Or it is enough to go 12-18 hours?

Thanks for your feedback...
  • Unknown
    Options
    I often do TWO eight pound butts on my small cooker. I usually start them on their sides to get them to fit the cooker...

20mvc-009e.jpg

I can usually get them laid down after they shrink up a little.

20mvc-010e.jpg

Dipstick
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Awesome set up!!