Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What ya cooking?

ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
brisket.jpg
<p />I put on a 9 # brisket (.49 per pound, $4.40 total) about 9 this morning. It is the first brisket I have done on the egg. Cruising about 250° and hoping for dinner about 8.
[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    ravnhaus,[p] I did a batch of baked beans last night in the dutch oven. Got them hetaing back up now (they're better if you let them sit overnight and puree some of them and mix it back in). Today I'm trying the flamin' buffalo turds. got some nice big jalapeños and stuffed them with a mixture of cream cheese, sauteed onions and garlic, and browned sausage before wrapping them in bacon . . .[p]MikeO
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Oh, almost forgot -- amd homemade chocolate ice cream![p]MikeO
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    ravnhaus,
    I'm doing 20lbs of spare ribs today on my large. This is my first attempt at ribs and I am relying totally on the information that I have picked up off of this forum. I picked up a new plate setter yesterday and am cooking them indirect in my rib rack. I know that if they are anything other than great it will be something I did or did not do to mess them up. I'm looking forward to lots of succulent ribs about 6pm today.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    ravnhaus,
    10 pounds of spare ribs an hour into the cook.

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    ravnhaus,[p]Wow! What size Egg is that? I put a 14 lb.er on the main grid of my Large last night, and it barely fit. Gonna do the fork test in about a half hour. It boggles my mind that you were able to get that thing on a V-rack.[p]Good luck on your first chunk-o-chest!

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    I've 5 racks of baby backs about 2 hours into a 3/1/1.5 cook right now. (thanks GFW!). Rubbed them twice yesterday, and applied a light coat of mustard first thing this AM.
    When the ribs come off we are taking them over to friends for a celebration.

• ravnhaus
    DavidR,
    It is a medium. The brisket was a nine pounder which was the smallest I could find. I did have to sort of fold it to get it to fit.

• ravnhaus
    brisket2.jpg
    <p />Here is the brisket at 6 hours.[p]
    [ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]
  • BarbieQ
    BarbieQ Posts: 41
    ravnhaus,
    That looks GREAT! I just cooked my first brisket last weekend, and it came out surprisingly good, since I understand these are one of the most challenging BGE cooks and I am a newbie. The leftovers were so good I'm ready to cook another. But, tonight, it's Gfw's hot wings and homemade pizza on the egg!
    Good 4th of July eats to you!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    ravnhaus,[p]Damn, that looks good!!! Congrats, and happy 4th![p]Cornfed
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    DavidR,
    I am doing a 14-15 pounder in two weeks. This will be my first Brisket to do on the egg. Any Pointers? Also how did you get it to fit :)
    [/b]
  • DavidR
    haywyre,[p]A 14-15 will fit barely, but only on the main grid of a Large. If you have a plate setter, put a large water pan inside the setter, and then lay the main grid down on top of it. [p]As for pointers, I would use grid temp instead of the dome temp. To set up a grid temp, take a Polder probe (I'm assuming you have one) and run it into the meat to where the tip of the probe is sticking out of the side of the meat, but it is still over the water pan. Cook it using a grid tmep of between 200 - 225*. That will require a dome temp of 275 - 300*, but it will vary throughout the cook because of the water pan. Cut a couple of onions in half and drop them in the water pan. [p]14- 15 lbs. - you figure 1 and 1/2 hours per pound comes to 21 - 22 hours. Do the fork test when the internal temp of the point reaches 185*.[p]Good luck!

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    DavidR,
    I searched the forums for fork test but didnt find how it is done.
    [/b]
  • DavidR
    haywyre,[p]To check for doneness, stick a regular kitchen fork into the point (all the way in until you see the teeth of the fork disappear) and then withdraw. You should have NO resistance whatsoever. If you have NO resistance, then stick the fork into the flat. It should go in very easily. As you withdraw, if you feel any type of a "tug" on your fork, or if you feel the brisket "lifting" off the grid, then it needs to tenderize some more. It's not done. Check again in another hour to compare.