Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spam

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is July 3rd and I am thinking of my 14 months in the Republic (70 -71). The high point of the month was the visit of the PX truck. We would spend most of out money on food as the c rations sucked. My favorite was Spam. Many a feast on Spam. I am wondering if anyone has cooked Spam on the Egg. I will probably try it next time I fire the beast up but am wondering time and temps. A little help would be appreciated. My wife thinks I am crazy but she hasn't had c's for 40 + days in a row. tstick

Comments

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    I haven't done Spam, but I saw a recipe on the net for smoked bologna which I think would work just fine for Spam.
    This makes a great starting dish while you are waiting for the main course to do its thing.
    Take a large chunk of bologna (Spam)(1-1.5lbs) and using an apple corer make a set of tunnels in the chunk. I did 4, two that crossed near one end and two more near the other end. Save the plugs that you remove. Break off a piece of the plugs and plug one end of each of the holes. pour BBQ sauce into the holes and plug the other end. Note, I had to secure a couple of the plugs with tooth picks to hold them in place. After the tunnels are full of sauce put plugs into the other ends.
    Plce on the egg and smoke at about 250 for as long as you can take it. (I went about 90 minutes) pull it off and slice into pieces. Serve with tooth picks.
    I had a 1.5 lb. chunck of bologna disapear in under 10 minutes and there was only 5 of us.

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Tom Stickney,[p]I've done Spam several times. I cut the spam longways and get 4 ~4x4x1/4 inch patties and cook it just like a hamburger around 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes per side until it crisps up and is warmed through. I also smoked one on an ECB several years ago, I don't remember the particulars other than smoking the whole block for about an hour.[p]DrBBq has mentioned a "Spam au Poivre" recipe several times, but I haven't figured out if he's serious or not. I might try it one of these days if I'm bored.[p]---Kevin

• Unknown
    Options
    Ca_rnivore,[p]Yes, I'm pretty sure that drbbq is serious about Spam au poivre. But then, I'm gullible.[p]I've smoked plain old Spam several times while doing other things. Sometimes with mustard and bbq rub, sometimes just naked. About an hour. It's great - if you like Spam.[p]Lee