Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peking Chicken (?)

BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love to experiment, and am in pursuit of crispy chicken skin. It occurred to me that a recipe for Peking Duck might be a good starting place.
The recipe I came up with (on Recipe Source) calls for these times and temps.
30 minutes at 375º, then
60 minutes at 250º, then
30 minutes at 400º
With these radical drops and rises, the only way I can see to do it is to fire both Eggs and move the bird from one to the other according to the time-table.[p]Any thoughts?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BlueSmoke,
    I think you are right. You would have to choke the heck out of that 375 fire to get it down to 250. Would be best to have your second egg humming along at a clean 250, then simply make the quick swap. Let your first egg idle along, then kick it up to 400 just before you swap it back from the 250 cooker.[p]Keep us posted on whether you achieve your goal!
    I just popped a mighty chilly fosters. Gonna throw the medium egg and some chicken in the pathfinder, and head over to a buddy's house for the 100 degree afternoon.[p]Stay cool! 4th of jooooly beers onya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    BlueSmoke,[p]I've done something similar. I was cooking ribs indirect on my BGE, and as they got close to done, there was not enough bark for my taste. I fired up the other ceramic cooker and finished the ribs direct at a slightly higher temp. I used 250 versus 225 just to set the sauce and get a little crust on the ribs. I don't have times, I just eyeballed it until they looked done. It was a little more work, but it turned out pretty good. I'm sure you could do the same thing to crisp up chicken skin.[p]--Kevin

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    don't know about peking duck, but the crispy skin i've managed to get right...[p]make sure your bird is dry, more or less. roast at 375-400 til done. nice crispy skin, like fried, and not tough or leathery at all. i think a key to good skin is dry skin. hope it helps...