Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Stoker on a Mac ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am now many cooks in with my XL and have made great advancements (thank for the parts and advice tlv!) and appears now a drafting device is in my future. Been to the Whiz, read about the last two years of archived posts on Gurus vs. Stokers and have a good idea about each.

One thing I don't see addressed anywhere is The Stoker on a Mac running OS X.

It appears that there is no interface software and all appears to be browser based, but that really isn't always a factor in wheter or not something wants to be Mac happy.

Not very many Mac folks out there in the BBQ world that I have found thru either forums or competing so I might be limiting this question to a small minority or from the manufacturer itself.

Look forward to any advice or insight.

Perry/Chicago
Chi -Town Smokers

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Ooh, this will cause a stir... Having a Mac is kind of wearing tight shorts. They work great for certain things but sometimes you want/need a bit more freedom and you need to be compatible with most of the rest of the world. (note to self... DUCK)

If the Mac can go to an IP address, which it can, you sould be able to see the stoker. I have accessed the stoker on a small tablet

I am not sure if the Mac will read/run the other probrams done by Amir.

Google 'stoker log' on google. I hears/read that there is a pretty good stoker conversation on the WSM forum. I believe that is where Amir hangs out. You also might ping his name also.

I am sure some other Stoker folks will jump in.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm not expert, but since the Stoker presents a web page, it should work with the Mac browser. Or am I all wet?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well that's just it . . .
    Just because it points to a web page, it doesn't mean it will want to play nice.

Perry/Chicago
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I love my Mac but know nothing about computers. Love to see the responses.
    No attack here GG I bought my Mac because I dont have to keep up with the upgrades or rebooting etc,,,,. In 4 years It has never froze or had to be rebooted. For a computer idiot it's perfect for me but I'm interested to know if it will run the stoker.
  • Unknown
    Options
    And with all due respect to all here, I have purposely not even begun to show my pompous Mac side, nor do I intend to.

Perry/Chicago
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Perry,

Just joshin you about the Mac, man...

I would be completly shocked it the Mac wouldn't 'play' the page properly. As I said it will work fine using Lunix, Windows ME, XP and Vista.

Also don't you Mac buys have a Windows emulation doohicky also.

Here is a link to the logging program for the stoker, not sure if it is the latest version but the link has a lot of discussion about the Stoker Directly.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/9370080934

here is the wsm page that discusses powered vent systems. You wil lsee a lot of subtopics about the stoker, DigiQ2 and other 'stuff''

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9270072103

Hope this will help.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    Actually on the new Intel Mac's you can run full on Windows.
    Either native using Bootcamp or on the desktop along with OS X with Parallel Desktop.

Thanks for the links at TVWB. I'll give them a going thru as well.

Still hoping for any Mac user who might have a Stoker to check in with first hand skinny . . .

Perry/Chicago
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Perry,

I use the DigiQ, and do everything at home on Macs (Mini, PowerMac, and MacBook, iPhone)

A buddy at work has a stoker, although he does use Windows--most people do. However, he did mention that he was able to monitor stuff on his Blackberry. That being said, you can most definitely do things from Safari, or even Firefox. The mozilla browser is always the one which bails me out on the MS-specific sites while browsing from Mac.

One thing I did do with the newer Mac is buy VMWare Fusion. That allows you to install and run Windows within the OS X environment. No compatability issues running that with Office 2007 installed. It recognizes all the ports, and is actually usably fast. What's really crazy is that you can run select applications from Windows in OS X, something like just Internet Explorer, instead of the entire desktop.

So yes, you CAN run the stoker from a Mac.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    LOL GG. A windows emulation doohicky?? Thats like buying a Porsche and putting in a volkswagon motor :ohmy: . Ok I guess it's my turn to duck. :blush::blush: Like I said I'm computer stupid so go easy :blush:
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Mike.
    I too use Firefox about 99.9 percent of the time as it likes to play with the PC world a bit better than Safari so that is a good start.

While I am still on a PPC G4, can't say that someday I won't install Windows via VMWare or Parallel Desktops , but that is more so I can keep an eye of what my music podcast website looks like in the Windows world.(http://www.bestradioyouhaveneverheard.com/podcasts)
    And running Windows on the Mac, like Poolman says, is just crazy.
    I always feel like I need a shower afterwards . . .
    :-)

So maybe leaning at the Stoker. My wife (another Mac head but plays in both leagues) and myself are pretty tech savvy so we should be able to wack through the settings.
    And having a couple of WSM's that are home outside of the competition season, it just makes sense to be able to control them all if I need to and have that upward flexibility.

Perry/Chicago
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My heck.. I just typed about 5 pages of stuff and the computer crashed. So I lost it all.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh no Mike, another Mac Maniac.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Well there ya go Perry, if you can do windows then you can have full funciton of the stoker.

BTW, the MS side didn't see any need to emulate Mac, just something to think about.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    GG,
    Like I said I am behaving.
    I haven't even brought up spyware or executable virus's etc, that I am not compatible with . . .
    :-)

Perry/Chicago
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Unless the software author was very MS-centric and doesn't know how to write good html and the like, the Mac should have no problems in its native OS.

Nevertheless, the emulation works fine if one wants.I recently set up an Air for a politician who is traveling full time during his campaign. Nice and light and full of disappointing design choices but still fun. But he deals with so much Windows stuff that he needed emulation. Tried both Parallels and Fusion - went with Fusion for no good reason and it works fine most of the time - not perfect but not bad. And as far as Windows emulating Apple OS - why would they want to?

Personally I'd prefer Linux in almost any flavor. And to make it clear, I see nothing on the Mac that makes it superior, or inferior, to Windows. Its just different and both sides tend to scoff at the non-believers just like Hillary and Barack supporters.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    "Unless the software author was very MS-centric and doesn't know how to write good html and the like, the Mac should have no problems in its native OS.
    "

You the man... That is what I was thinking.

Thanks for the reply.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: Pat, Now that is funny.

Be careful Pat... I might have to put on my windows defense armor on.

Kent
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    It's funny, because I came to Round Rock, TX to work for a certain computer company...still do, too. hehe

I see Windows all day at work, so it's nice to use something else. It all started because of the little studio I've got at home. The Mac platform seemed to work better with all the recording gear, instruments, and other stuff I have.
  • SmokeyD
    SmokeyD Posts: 46
    Options
    Beanie-Bean wrote:
    It's funny, because I came to Round Rock, TX to work for a certain computer company...still do, too. hehe

I see Windows all day at work, so it's nice to use something else. It all started because of the little studio I've got at home. The Mac platform seemed to work better with all the recording gear, instruments, and other stuff I have.

I too moved to the Austin area to work for the same certain computer company, but they felt I wasn't necessary and laid me off in october.

I work primarily on macs always have. I also have a stoker on order right now. It should be here by wednesday so I can report back after that. I will be working on a program that will work on OS X and should read everything and change everything from there. Based on the fact that you can adjust everything from a cell phone this isn't the hardest interface to understand.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    HUH!!!!!! When you & mike figure it out send me a disc that say's insert here idiot.
  • Unknown
    Options
    the stoker works just fine with a mac--been doing so for a year or more.
    as others have said, tho, the stoker log program written by amir is windows-only, so you'll have to wait till you upgrade to an intel mac to run that.
    having said that, when SmokeyD writes his OSX logging program, we're off to the races--then all these PC eggers can satisfy their secret Mac envy and join us on the "it just works" platform! (now i have to duck!)
    Ken
  • Unknown
    Options
    SOLD !
    Thanks Ken,
    That is what I was waiting to hear.

I think I will be plenty OK with the Stoker and OS X, without having to take up space and processing power with Windows on the same makchine, as things are not too far off from where they should be now.
    I was just waiting your first person experience to confirm.

I will be interested in Smokey D's OS X version when it is available, however.

Perry/Chicago
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Odd, wonder why the double post... Must be some macfisshy going on.

GG
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Been using my stoker with my intel Mac for several months now. Works like a champ. The only thing you won't be able to do is use the stoker log since it is a windows program. Since I run Vista via Bootcamp on my machine I have Stoker log intalled to run when I'm in windows.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Pat,

I was just joshin you...

I have two machines that have been running for 3 to 4 years without crashing or shutting down. (battery back up & generator if necessary). This thrid machine very seldom shuts down.

Windows XP & Vista, for me are very stable.

I think the Apple stuff is excelent and as posted elsewhere no better or worse than MS.

Kent
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Sorry to hear about what happened, man. If you're still in the area, feel free to drop me an email.

I'd be interested in seeing how your interface works on Safari.

Thanks!
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Ken is right. The Mac does just work and always has. I jumped into the Mac world early, early on. My first Mac was named 'Lisa' in case any of you happen to remember that far back. I've stuck with Mac ever since, primarily because it is the clear leader in desktop publishing and is far less prone to infection.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ooooh, Pyro...

This is hard for me to say but... you are right.

You do go back a little while in the industry. That old Lisa is getting pretty good money from what I was reading a little while ago. My last Mac was the one before the Lisa.

I still have kickin around here the original Mac dealer counter plaque. Only a few Apple dealers got them. It was about 3/4 inch glass with etching in the glass. A lamp was in the base which illuminated up through the glass showing a graphic of the Mac. The glass had I believe both Woz's and Job's signature etched in also.

Anyway the Lisa was an amazing machine when it was announced.

GG
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    I have both. i use the windows laptop, wife and kids use the mac. the mapping software I use at work doesnt support mac, so i have no real interest in learning new shortcuts/keyboard commands.
    so in my eyes, the mac is great, since i know nothing about it, i never get asked to fix it!