Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amish Eco-Grill

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle today captioned: "Cookout craze hits local area." Buy an Amish grilling cabinet for $249 and get the grill free.

Here's their web site.

http://www.amishgrill.com/index.cfm
Anyone know anything about these things?

I've seen where they also offer a heater apparently using the same technology as the grill.

Spring "Just Curious" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    $247 just for the grill and $547 for the cabinet seems pretty high!!! never heard of them before... the cabinet looks like pretty high quality.. but you are more into woodworking than i am :woohoo: :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    if you hit the buy it now the cabinet is 547. they ran the article here a couple weeks ago and it was real decieving, didnt now the amish to be decieving
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    Options
    Too much hype.

Gill look like it was made my the Arkansas Casket Company.
    (You could have a brisket funeral.) :huh:

I would bet real money the Amish woodworkers live in China.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    It looks like if you want to buy the grill only, THAT is $249. The grill and cabinet is $547. Looks like a variation of a Holland Grill. No thanks....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I can make cabinets like the Amish when I put my mind to it, so that's not important to me. I was just curious as to how so few BTUs could put out that much heat, especially in a wood cabnet.

The deal smells...

Spring "No Taker-Upper On Dealee" Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Nope... its not green!

GG
  • Slo-n-Lo Joe
    Options
    The description makes it sound a lot like an Infrared, which can be had at a better price elsewhere.

Joe
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    This add is very similar to the one on the heater. My wife ordered the heater in the Amish cabinet. You buy the cabinet and they give you the heater for $200 or so. The cabinet is Amish but the heater is made in China.
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    I saw the one for the heaters in a newspaper as well. We were laughing because they are definitely using the term "Amish" as an advantage to get business. We live in the heart of Ohio Amish country and know alot of Amish, they would NEVER pose for a picture and I can tell you that the clothing they are wearing is no where near authentic.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I hear you about the clothing let alone pictures. I believe though there are different "sects" within the Amish belief. For instance I grew up in central Missouri near a large Amish settlement and was quite familiar with their dress, their horse drawn black buggies, no electricity and certainly no radios etc. You could tell the married men as they had beards.

Anyway in 1962 I went off to college where there were more Amish in another nearby town. The college had several of the bearded, blue shirt, black pants and hat wearing guys working there in the building and grounds work force. One day after a late class I saw four bearded Amish employees jump in a Ford pick up and drive off with two in the cab with the radio blaring and the other two back in the bed yipping like pick up dogs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    So the Amish went from buggy whips and barn-raisings to 316 Stainless Steel fabrication and infrared grilling tech in one fell swoop?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    They built the cabinet not the grill.

I have a mattress that has an Amish built frame. Though the Amish don't normally allow modern technology on their property except for the occasional vehicle. The picture used is definitely not right.

I am with the chicken.. No Takee the dealee..
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Ah, I see now. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I thought the fireplace and grill were not made by the Amish so my wife and I took a trip to Amish country. The workshop is in the heart of Winesburg, OH and yes they are Amish, they welcome you to stop is and check out their progress.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I thought the fireplace and grill were not made by the Amish so my wife and I took a trip to Amish country. The workshop is in the heart of Winesburg, OH and yes they are Amish, they welcome you to stop is and check out their progress.