Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ClayQ's BBQ Beef - It's what's for Dinner.

Options
Krusty
Krusty Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading a lot of positive comments about ClayQ's BBQ Beef recipe, I decided to give it a try today.

The beef is on.

P4120008.jpg

I'm about 2 hours into the approximate 8 hour cook.

Comments

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Looks good,what cut of beef?
  • Krusty
    Options
    Chuck Roast. I am cooking two that are just over 6 pounds total.

Found them on sale at Kroger on Wednesday for $1.87 per pound.

P4120001.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've made it, its a long procedure but really worth it. -RP
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Krusty, get ready for a treat...this recipe has about taken over pulled pork as a favorite at my house..combine this with a pot of the apple (or peach) baked beans and CWs cornbread along with a few adult brews and you can lay up for the rest of the weekend!.. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Is this being smoked? What dome temp are you running at?
  • Krusty
    Options
    Yes, it is smoking right now at 250 dome indirect over a drip pan with beer. It's at 152 right now and appears to finally be coming out of the plateau. Cooking to 160 internal and then going into a dutch oven where it will raise to 215.

The recipe is in the cookbook section of this site and also at the DizzyPigBBQ site.
  • Krusty
    Options
    I'm really hoping it turns out well. There are times when I want some good pulled BBQ but I didn't have time to do an overnighter. This recipe allows me to start it at a reasonable hour in the morning and eat it for dinner.
  • Krusty
    Options
    Chuck Roasts finally hit 160 so it is now on to Stage 2.

Removed bacon and put on bottom of oiled dutch oven. Put beef on top of that. Then added the syrup and water. In reading older posts from Clay, he added a diced apple at this point also. It is not mentioned in the recipe that is in the Cookbook section, but I decided to follow his earlier recommendation.

Removed the drip pan and grid. Put a couple of foil balls on the platesetter and then set the dutch oven on that. Covered and cooking at about 300 dome instead of the 250 in the recipe. Trying to speed this up a little bit since Stage 1 took longer than it was suppose to. Beef has dropped to 142 internal due to all the switching and new cold ingredients/pot.

P4120027.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Good call bumping the dome temp up in stage two to get it moving along. I 'd like to add a note about adjusting the temp up for the recipe, perhaps someone at BGE can help me with this. Hope all is well with the cook.....sure looks great so far.
    Have fun!
    Clay
  • Krusty
    Options
    Stage 2 took a lot longer than what I was expecting, almost twice as long as the recipe indicated. I bumped the temp up to 300, but it still took 4 hours to get to 215. I think it may be because I use the foil balls under the dutch oven. It kept the dutch oven off the plate setter and that may have caused it to run cooler than if it had direct contact. I don't know just a guess.

Anyway, I have now started stage 3. Only an hour to go and I will be eating good. I took some samples while pulling (after all, that is what the recipe said to do!) and it had a GREAT flavor. Can't wait until it is done!

P4120033.jpg

P4120039.jpg
  • Krusty
    Options
    Finally finished!

All I can say is....Wow!

This really has some good flavor and very tender. This is going to become a regular cook for me.

It ended up taking me about 12 hours from start to finish. I have some ideas as to what I did that might have made it take that long and will adjust them with the next cook.

If you haven't tried this recipe yet, I highly recommend it.

Thanks Clay!

P4130042.jpg

P4130049.jpg

Now it is off to bed with a very full tummy.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Looks fantastic! Nice job with the camera, pic's are great. Well, your egg got a good workout and you got to eat a special treat. The latest pulled beef cook I did had 21 pounds of beautiful boneless choice chuck roasts. Went 14 hours to get'er done. I adjusted the recipe dome temp up in stage two also. And each cook is a little different, just like cooking a pork butt, the meats done when it's done.
    Glad it worked out for you. Everyone I have served my pulled beef to has enjoyed it. In fact I was offered a jug of pure Wisconsin maple syrup, just made this spring, for some of my pulled beef. He makes maple syrup, I make pulled beef and the deal was done, he he.

Have a great day. :P :cheer: :)
    Clay