Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Beef Wednesday Followup - all sliced up now

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Looks fantastic, Jack. Some nice, soft buns, a little horseradish sauce and you've got a tasty meal going.
  • ViennaJack
    AZRP wrote:
    Nice! -RP

Thanks for the comment. I've been keeping this stuff stocked in the fridge almost since Day 1 with the Egg.
  • ViennaJack
    Jeffersonian wrote:
    Looks fantastic, Jack. Some nice, soft buns, a little horseradish sauce and you've got a tasty meal going.

We've been doing a lot of French Dip lately on baguettes with melted Muenster cheese and Au Jus gravy, but you have inspired me sir. Tomorrow I'm going to run out and get some nice buns and some fresh horseradish, sour cream and dill weed for some beef sandwiches for lunch!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Well that's just super, cuz your idea about au jus and Muenster cheese has me reconsidering the horseradish! Excellent idea, too, Jack.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looks great i have not done pit beef in awhile.. you pulled at 115 right? i like mine a little more rarer than i had last time... plus yours looks thiner i think i need to do thinner next time also

101_0353.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ViennaJack
    BENTE wrote:
    looks great i have not done pit beef in awhile.. you pulled at 115 right? i like mine a little more rarer than i had last time... plus yours looks thiner i think i need to do thinner next time also

When I'm not busy forgetting how fast this stuff cooks I like to pull it at 110. What you see here was pulled at EXACTLY 110 degrees then straight to the fridge in a ziplock bag to rest overnight and chill for slicing.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Jack,
    Is the recipe in the recipe section? If not, would you mind sharing?
    Thanks
    Hammer
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here you go
    Pit Beef

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Here's a pic of the 14lbs. pit beef my 12 yr.old cooked last Fri. We are still enjoying it!

DSCI0016-2.jpg
  • ViennaJack
    Hammer wrote:
    Jack,
    Is the recipe in the recipe section? If not, would you mind sharing?
    Thanks
    Hammer

Hammer,

This is just eye of round toast (two halves) seasoned ahead of time with Dr. BBQ "Eastern BBQ Rub". You can get excellent results with just salt and pepper or whatever your favorite rub is.

I cook this direct on the porcelain grid maintaining a dome temp of about 350 degrees until the internal temp of the meat is 110 degrees, turning the roasts every 10 minutes or so.

At 110 degrees internal, I pull it, slice each half in half again, steal about 1/2 pound to eat while it's still hot, then let the rest spend the night in the fridge in a ziplock bag.

The next day I have a bag of meat and lots of Au Jus gravy - the drippings from the meat that were captured in the ziplock bag, mixed with the spices from the rub. I set the Au Jus aside and slice the meat as thin as I can without having the slices disintegrate, then the whole pile of meat goes in the stainless steel bowl. I dribble all of the Au Jus gravy over the slices, then I toss the meat gently to make sure the gravy juices are evenly distributed, then the sliced meat and gravy go back into the ziplock bag. About three or four days later the bag is empty, and the process repeats itself.

Enjoy!
  • Hammer
    Thanks T!
    Mitch
  • Hammer
    Thanks Jack!
    Mitch