Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

planning on doing asparagus for the firs time?

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i know it is only a vegie but i have yet to ever try nor eat asparagus but they always look so good as a side. so do i need to know anything special or just season them and cook direct?
will be doing fillet mignon for 20 guys and was thinking asparagus for a side so any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper then grill direct until they get a few grill marks. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a short soak in italian dressing and then skewer like a raft works pretty good. there is a recipe around called haps wraps with cheese and proscuito wrapped around them that looks good. i planted a bed last spring up at camp, last weekend i was up there, 3 feet minimum everywhere of snow except for that bed was clear, hoping the roots didnt get to much frost exposure.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    ok then so there is not much more prep then that! cut ,wash,oil and season. cook t'ill tender?
    heard somewhere you can also wrap them with bacon...
    thanks again for the help
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    and a spritz of lemon

pic is aspargus rafts with buckboard bacon

lamb005-1.jpg

and julienned prosciutto on egged asparagus

ribeye009.jpg
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    The bottoms of the plant are kinda ?woody?. So bend them, and wherever they break on their own is what you want to dispose of. Also, just a warning......they make your urine smell funny. :)
  • Gzmogator
    Gzmogator Posts: 33
    Options
    I used a recipe for this I found on here and is fantastic. Wrap the spears in sliced turkey breasts, coat with EVOO, Dizzy dust, and raft together with toothpicks. Was delicious and a hit with the lovely half!
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    The only difference in our way of preparing the asparagus is to add a little of the DP Shaking the Tree to them. Since this rub has a fair amount of salt we add a little pepper but no extra salt. Man, they are good eats.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    For that many people, I would do the asraragus inside while the filet is resting. Pre-heat oven to 450 F. Cover 2 sheet pans with Reynolds Release (no sticking and no pan clean-up). Place asperagus in shallowest layer possible. Drizzle with EVOO, sprinke with kosher salt and bk. pepper, then roast for 8 min. switching pans on oven racks 1/2 way through. Drizzle with good quality balsamic and sprinkle with fresh grated parmmigiano. Very easy and great when the asparagus caramelizes a bit! Enjoy, Janet
  • Tim Morgan
    Options
    I've done asparagus a few times now. Dr. BBQ's books have some recipies in them that are good, and BGE-oriented. Someone else also suggested balsamic vinegar, which I've used.

The Morton's Steak Bible has a recipe for asparagus and red peppers, but the asparagus part of it is to boil the asparagus for a couple of minutes in salt water, then grill it.

Finally, a recipe I've done several times recently, that came attached to a bunch of asparagus from the supermarket(!), is to boil them about 10 minutes in salted water. Then lay them out on aluminum foil and spread cheese over them. The recipe called for 3 kinds of cheese, but I just used some shredded Mexican cheese. Then put the foiled asparagus on the grill for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted over the asparagus.

Tim
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Asparagus is such a great veggie to grill. There is so much you can do with it. As you can already tell it can be as simple as cutting, EVOO, salt and pepper. You can wrap with bacon. All these recipies are great. We have egged it with dozens of diffent recipies, all have turned out great. One of our two favotites are soak in some greek vinaigrette dressing for about 20 minutes, then toss on the egg about 5-8 minutes or until tender. The other favorite is the simple on, kosher salt, pepper and EVOO. Grill same amount then splash with lemon juice.