Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rosemary Garlic Pork Loin

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was one of my favorite recipes on the Weber gasser, and the taste and texture are WAY better on the Egg. Case in point: after cooking on the Weber, the roast would leave a little juice on my cutting board. After cooking on the Egg, the juices fill the grooves on my cutting board and overflow onto the counter!!

RosemaryLoin1.JPG

With ABT's and baked potatoes cooking alongside.
RosemaryLoinwithsides.JPG

Comments

• Minneggsotan
    Options
    Will,

Another great looking spread! Is that a whole loin you cut to fit on the XL? Are they stuffed with something and rolled? I'm getting hungry here...
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Options
    Hey Wonka - I see you use the Maverick ET71. I just got one and am having a devil of a time getting the thing to work right. I can get the part I plug the probes into to work fine, but the reciever does nothing but blink --- over and over. any ideas? Also, what is the time and temp on your cook above??
  • Wonka
    Options
    BigChar - I need to turn on the transmitter (with or without the probes plugged in) and then the turn the receiver on almost immediately afterward to get them to sync up. It can't be at the same time, and you can't wait more than a few seconds. Just play around and you'll get it right. Once they're synced up, I can go anywhere on my lot and it stays wirelessly connected perfectly.

Minneggsotan - That IS a whole loin roast that I cut in half to fit on the XL. I think it was about 8 pounds or so from Sam's Club for around $2/lb. The price per serving on this stuff is great! If I'm not cooking for a crowd, I'll use half of the Sam's loin and freeze the other half or use it for kebobs, Russian food that my wife makes, etc.

I guess there are no pictures of the inside. Yes, it's stuffed and folded. I've adapted a recipe from Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Bible:

Garlic Rosemary Pork Loin

½ pork loin roast from Sam’s Club (or double the seasonings and make both halves)

12 cloves garlic, peeled

1 bunch fresh rosemary (about ¼ cup leaves)

2 Tbsp. course kosher salt

2 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper

4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

Butcher’s string

1. Wash and de-stem the rosemary leaves. Peel the garlic.
    2. Combine the garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a food processor (or mortar and pestle) and pulse to a slightly chunky paste. Work in the olive oil.
    3. Using a long, sharp knife, cut the loin almost in half lengthwise, opening it like a book. Cover the raw meat with plastic wrap and flatten it slightly with a rolling pin. Cut 2 lengthwise slits into each half of the meat (but don’t cut all the way through). Spread half of the herb paste over the meat and into the slits.
    4. Bring the sides of the roast back together and tie it in 2-inch intervals with butcher’s string. Spread the remaining paste over the outside of the loin.
    5. Place the loin in a glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate 2-4 hours.
    6. Bring the roast to room temperature while you pre-heat the grill to 350 degrees of indirect heat. On a Big Green Egg, use the plate setter and a drip pan below the grate. [Add washed and seasoned baked potatoes to the grid for an easy side dish.] Cook at 350 for about 1 hour until the roast registers between 145 and 160 degrees internally. Any more than that, you’ll just be drying it out.
    7. Remove the roast to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the butcher’s string and cut into ½” thick slices. Serves 6-8.

Adapted from The Barbeque Bible by Steven Raichlen
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I think pork loins and tender loins are a great value. Can't beat the Costco or Sams four pack tenderloins for around $3 a pound. Did some over the weekend with raspberry sauce.

Seared in the fire ring and finished high in the dome. Tried to catch some dripping as the raspberry sauce warmed but I think I need a bigger pan. Ended up just pouring in the juice from the plate where the loins rested after pulling. Dizzy Pig's Red Eye goes great with pork..

Tporkloin006.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Wonka
    Options
    Mmm. Great idea! I just got my first bottle of Red Eye Express a few weeks ago. Actually, it's my first Dizzy Pig product, and so far I'm impressed! I initially balked at the price, but it covers a TON of meat!
  • Minneggsotan
    Options
    I think I know what's on the menu for this weekend! Thanks Wonka!
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Looks great. Gotta love those pork loins.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    no doubt! i used to think i was pretty good with the pork loin on the gasser. my friends all thought i was a professional just because i had an internal thermometer... HA! as if!

my pork loins are now legendary on the egg.

nice job on both of yours
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Very Nice...and I like the chapter and verse.

LR
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Double wrap your meat in HDfoil, towels, and place in the "cooler" for up to several hours after pulling. Time the cook so you're done with the meat beforehand, then put on the spuds, veggies...

This way, the juices will redistribute more, the meat will tenderize more, etc... Pull @ 140F

The difference in foil-wrapping vrs not wrapping is astounding... and you'll really notice the difference in left-overs.

~ Broc
    :)
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I made this same recipe for Easter Supper. Wow! I will work this into the rotation regularly. Very easy and delicious. Also a great way to thin the rosemary crop in the herb garden.
  • Wonka
    Options
    Seriously! Rosemary, garlic, pork, and the Egg make such a great combo.