Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

different butt question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every time i talk to my butcher, we seem to get confused about what is a butt, shoulder, picnic, etc... What exactly should I be asking for, and how big do these different cuts run, lbs wise? I want to make pulled pork. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    Some places will call a butt a shoulder but a shoulder is the butt and picnic attached to each other.
    Butts will run 5 to 7 pounds normally.
    A picnic will be the bottom section of the front shoulder and will normally be skin on with a thick fat cover between the skin and flesh.
    If your after butt ask for Boston butt or sometime shoulder blade roast. Made a lot easier, RIGHT?
    Jim

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jim Minion, somebody poste dthis sometime ago and I have kept it around:
    Boston butt = Boston roast = pork butt roast = pork shoulder Boston butt = Boston-style shoulder = Boston shoulder = Boston-style butt = fresh pork butt
    Notes: This economical, rectangular roast is the cut of choice for pulled pork barbecue, since it's marbled with enough fat to keep the meat moist while cooking. You can buy it bone-in or boneless. Substitutes: pork picnic roast (also works for pulled pork) OR pork center cut loin roast (This is lower in fat, so roast it at a lower temperature and avoid overcooking it.) 2 hours per pound at 225 degrees is a good rule of thumb. Remember this is for the individual piece of meat not the total weight. Two 5 pound butts (10 pounds total) should cook in about 10 hours as long as there is some separation on the grill.

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    Here's a web site that I found that explains the different cuts of pork, what they are used for and cuts that can be used for substitutions. Kind of interesting reading.[p]Mr Beer

[ul][li]Info on cuts of pork[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mr Beer,
    Great link! Thank you. I will actually take the photos in to my butcher so we can look at them together and get what i am looking for. I can't wait to do PP this weekend. He is a great butcher, i think it was me that was messing things up.

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    Nice Info

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wise One,
    Definitely good info. I often see them labelled as "pork shoulder bade roast" around here. Maybe that could be added to the long equation![p]Dunkels to you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Options
    Nature Boy, was that a "blade roast". I thought that was only on the cow. Am I wrong? I must be to some degree since the skeletal anatomy of the pig and cow are pretty similar.

• Wise One
    Options
    Wise One, Iwas wrong. Here is a pretty good web page.

[ul][li]Zupans Pork-Cuts[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Options
    Seth Howard, print this out and take it to ypour butcher and say "Give me what's in the upper left." That ought to do it.

[ul][li]Culinary Cafe Pork Cuts Picture[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]I've done a bunch of Boston Butts over the last couple of years but this weekend I'm going to do my first 'picnic shoulder'. I'm told that it had a different flavor (slightly better?) than a butt. Our friends here on the forum assure me that the cook is just like that of a butt. The one difference for me this cook is I will be using MickeyT's smoke rings To control the heat looking forward to the whole thing.

• Unknown
    Options
    Sundown,
    The flavor is closer to that of an uncured ham than butt.
    Jim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Wise One, can't be much clearer than that! [p]Making a little trip down to Charleston, SC next weekend - love that city - good food, good drink - what more could you ask for![p]Life is GOOD :~}