Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good charcoal: cheap in Nashville area

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been shopping around for good natural hardwood charcoal for my new Big Green Egg. I found TNW's very detailed report with ratings of 60 major brands here. The trouble is that none of my local stores seem to carry the good stuff. The best brand I could find locally was Royal Oak at Walmart but it comes in at a dismal #31 on the list based on hundreds of reviews. Almost all of the serious cooks seem to agree that Wicked Good Charcoal is the premier brand and it does hold 2 of the top 3 rating slots, however WGC doesn’t have any dealers in Tennessee or Kentucky. You can order directly from WGC via their website but it is expensive and you can only get 3 bags at a time due to Fedex weight restrictions.

I contacted the WGC factory and they agreed to give me a big discount if I purchased anywhere from 1 to 3 pallets of their charcoal (min. 30 bags and max. 60 bags per pallet). These are the big 22 lb. bags, not the small 8 and 10 lb. bags which you usually see in stores. They would have to ship it via a freight carrier but shipping is reasonable if you have it shipped to a commercial address with a loading dock. I am thinking of ordering 1 pallet with anywhere from 30-60 bags if I can get enough people to pitch in and share the order. I could probably have it shipped to my office and then bring it home in my truck for distribution to anyone that lives in or near the Nashville, TN area.

I did a quick price comparison with Lowes, Walmart, and the WGC prices. Royal Oak at Walmart is the best overall price at $0.60 per lb. but if we can get a 60-bag pallet from WGC with then it would only cost $0.65 per lb which is an excellent deal. Even the 30-bag pallet from WGC would only be $0.80 per lb. which isn’t too bad and may be worth it based on all the reviews. For comparison purposes, Cowboy charcoal at Lowes was $0.80 per lb. and it scored a terrible #51 on the list.

If you are interested then just reply to this thread or contact me through the forum to let me know how many bags you want. Feel free to mention this to anyone else that is able to pick it up from me locally. If we have enough responses by Friday 3/28 then I will place the order by the following Monday, otherwise it looks like I will be stuck buying Royal Oak at Walmart. I have used Royal Oak a few times now and it isn’t too bad but WGC is supposed to be much better, burn hotter, and last longer. Let me know if you have found anything better in the Nashville area.

Comments

• mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    Are you near south Nashville I live in Madison Alabama about 10 miles from the state line. If we can arrange a meet I'll take 4 bags. e-mail me

mark9765@hotmail.com
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Mark: I replied to you via email.

Everyone else: I am willing to meet you to deliver the charcoal almost anywhere in the general Nashville area that is within a 30-60 minute drive time to the east or south of Nashville. At only $0.65 per lb. the WGC charcoal would be $14.30 per bag and this includes tax / shipping. This is better than all the other local prices I could find except for Royal Oak at Walmart which was only $0.60 per lb. but WGC is supposed to be the best charcoal so it should be worth the extra $1.10 per bag. I expect to get a few friends to pitch in so we only need a few more and we should be able to get a 60-bag pallet from WGC for the best discount. Also, it was interesting to find out that WGC charges the same shipping for 1 pallet as they do for 3 pallets. It is not cheap shipping but is worth it when you get the discount and can split the order with fellow eggers. Hopefully we have enough local in TN to make it happen.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    mark, if we can make it work out to get some, I may be able to help you. I live near Maysville and could slpit gas and cost with you. I could probably swing 5-10 bags.

Gene
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Ok guys, this is looking pretty good. Here is what we have so far:
    [ol][li]Bob - 20 bags[/li]
    [li]Mark - 7 bags[/li]
    [li]Gene - 10 bags[/li]
    [/ol]
    I also have a local person that will take at least 5 bags so this is a total of 42 bags, more than enough for a pallet. Let's wait another week or so and see if we can get to 60 bags or more then it will be cheaper for everyone. If we get beyond 60 bags then it will be even cheaper than buying Royal Oak at Walmart, which is great!

Mark / Gene: no problem meeting up. The wife and I will be heading down to Mule Day in Columbia sometime between April 1-6 so we could meet you there, or we could also meet you in Murfreesboro or Shelbyville once we agree on a day. I am willing to drive a little to help you out, I just don't want to go all the way down to the border since gas is not cheap and it would be a long round trip from my home which is well east of Nashville.

And just to clarify: I am not making anything on this deal, just passing on the savings at my cost. Anyone can get the same pallet pricing by calling WGC but shipping to your area might be much more expensive, especially since I am having it shipped to a commercial location with a loading dock. I am also loading and delivering it for free so please be flexible when it comes to a meeting time and location.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    shoot me an email at geneandtania @ bellsouth.net

Thanks
  • Sweathog
    Sweathog Posts: 75
    Options
    I'll take five bags. I live 5 minutes from Vandy.

Jim (Sweathog)

jim dot massie "at" gmail dot com
  • mark9765
    Options
    No problem. Just let me know when and where.
  • mark9765
    Options
    we can get together when we know when and where we have to go. My e-mail is mark9765@hotmail.com
  • Lampsrus
    Lampsrus Posts: 3
    Options
    :) I live in Goodlettsville. Where are you in relation?Could sign on for several bags. Where would I have to go in order to pick it up? Thanks. Ronnie
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Ronnie: I could meet you anywhere that is convenient for both of us, probably in the afternoon or on a weekend. I go through Donelson and Hermitage often and get up to Gallatin and Hendersonville about once a week so it wouldn't be a problem.

We have 47 bags on order already so we just need 13 more to make a full pallet and get the best price. Let me know how many you want, and contact me through the forum if needed for any other details.
  • Lampsrus
    Options
    Put me in for 6 bags. Thanks.....
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    We definitely have a lot of interest. Many people have contacted me in the past 24 hours alone. Must be more local eggers in TN than I thought...

I called WGC to confirm the shipping charge and it is the same rate per pallet regardless of how many bags are stacked on each pallet. The most they can stack on a single pallet is 60 bags, so the best price that we can get will be $0.65 per lb. for a 60-bag pallet, which comes out to $14.30 for each 22 lb. bag.

Keep in mind that this price includes tax and shipping. This is about the same price as buying the cheap Royal Oak at Walmart and you are getting the best WGC charcoal on the market. This is WGC's best Weekend Warrior Lump product, not a briquette or closeout product. It is a good bit cheaper than buying Cowboy at Lowes and nearly half off the normal WGC website price.

So I am definitely placing the order this week by Friday at the latest. I expect delivery by the middle of next week unless there are freight delays. If you haven't already done so then please email me through the forum with your name and phone number so we can schedule a time to meet for you to pickup your bags. We have to cut this order off at 60 bags since I don't want to front the cash for two full pallets. I am taking a risk as it is since some people might back out but I trust everyone on this forum to follow through. Here is what we have so far:

[ol][li]Bob and friend - 25 bags[/li]
    [li]Mark - 7 bags[/li]
    [li]Gene - 10 bags[/li]
    [li]Jim and friend - 10 bags[/li]
    [li]Ronnie - 6 bags[/li][/ol]

This only leaves 2 bags open from the full pallet but if someone wants a few more bags then I can give them some of mine. If you want in on this deal then now is the time to speak up or forever hold your lump...
  • Lampsrus
    Options
    Ronnie here, Did you get my contact phone #? Thanks a lot.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Lee Ann at WGC confirmed receipt of payment for our bulk order and they are shipping the pallet to us on Monday 3/24. It should arrive at my office by Thursday 3/27 or Friday 3/28 at the latest.

I sent each of you an email with delivery options. If you haven't already done so then please reply to me via email to setup a time to meet and get your charcoal. You can click here to send me an email via the forum.

For anyone else that is in the Nashville area: if you still want in on this deal then I will sell you a few of my extra bags. Price is $14.30 per 22 lb. bag which is our actual cost including shipping. Wicked Good Charcoal at Walmart prices, not a bad deal! B)
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Our pallet of Wicked Good Charcoal arrived today. It was stacked 5 bags to a layer, 12 layers high, and shrink wrapped with several layers of plastic from top to bottom. During unloading of the pallet I discovered that about 8 of the bags had a small 1"-2" hole in the side due to the corners of the bigger hardwood pieces inside the bags combined with the weight of the bags pressing down on each other while stacked on the pallet. This seemed normal and was not a problem. No bags were ripped, torn, or open and they all felt like they had some pretty big solid chunks inside.

I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra with a Double Cab and 6.5' bed (about 8.5' with the tailgate down) which is 48" wide inside the wheel wells. I sold 6 of the bags before they were even loaded on my truck but the remaining 54 bags fit just fine, although I did have to leave my hard bed cover open and the tailgate down. Thankfully my truck is rated to take at least 1,650 lbs. in the bed and it can tow 10,800 lbs. so the 1,200 lbs. of charcoal was not even close to topping it out. I actually cruised over quite a few bumps and sped through some winding turns on the 25 mile trip home but the load never shifted an inch.

I am meeting Mark to deliver his and Gene's charcoal on Saturday.

Jim and Ronnie: I still need to hear from you to setup a meeting time. I hope to deliver your charcoal this weekend since my truck bed is still pretty full after unloading my bags.

Here is a pic of the full load minus 6 bags:

wgc%20full%20load.jpg

I will post a review of the WGC after I have cooked with it for a while but I am sure it will be just as great as TNW's report indicates. Kudos to Lee Ann from WGC for handling our order, shipping promptly, and providing frequent updates via phone and email. She made this process so easy that I would not hesitate to do it again once my current stock runs out, although that may take quite a while given that I am keeping 21 bags for myself.

If anyone else lives in an area with 4-5 other eggers then I suggest that you pool your purchases and split a pallet just like we did here in Nashville. It came out to cost about the same as the cheap stuff at Walmart so you can't go wrong.
  • Bob,
    I need your cell, work, some number to reach you. I have been sending replies for a week now.

Thanks,
    Ronnie

Call me today. Cell is 579-0640.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    For those asking about the WGC in Nashville: we sold everything from the single pallet that we had ordered. There were several others that were willing to join in on the group-buy but they contacted me too late so they missed out. You might consider posting a new thread to see if you can get a second group together for another pallet order. The price and shipping should be the same to anywhere in TN as long as you can ship to a commercial address with a loading dock. You can also send me your email address and I will put you on the waiting list to be contacted whenever I order my next pallet, however this probably won't be for at least 6 months or so, maybe in Fall 2008. Thanks to the original group that made this first pallet possible. I am burning up my last bag of Royal Oak right now and then it is all WGC from here on out.