Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st turkey

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need some help!!! i did my first turkey on the egg last night.
cooked it @ 300 degrees for 3:45 hrs. it was a 14 lb turkey.
i placed the turkey on a turkey sitter in a medium size aluminum pan
directly on the grill. i let the temp of the bird get to between 170 and 180 degrees at different parts of the bird. after taking the bird off i let it sit for 1/2 hr. when i carved the outside of the turkey was kind of dry but the inside was very moist. did i do something wrong or is this to be expected? thanks for any input.

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    david macheca, When cooking poultry for an extended period of time as we do in the egg, the skin will become dry and somewhat rubbery. To help counter act this, try rubbing the outside surface generously with oil of your choice (I use olive oil) before adding your spices. Mayo, Italian dressing and a number of other oil based food products work equally well.[p]Marv

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    david macheca, [p]I usually do mine indirect at 350° for 13-15 minutes per pound, until the breast reads 165°; then let sit for half an hour. JCA[p]P.S. In the archives on Nov. 6th (or 7th?) 2001 I started two turkey threads, one regarding a brine recipe that Cat gave me, and another called something like "Talkin' Turkey" in which I discussed method & cooking times & temps. [p]Bone appétit!

• Marv ,
    We had a full weekend of bonsai meetings and workshops and did not get to cook on the Egg at all so here it is Monday a.m. and we are thinking about what we want to do on it tonight. Thought about a turkey breast, if we can find an unfrozen one. I am thinking about cooking it at about 300 degrees...can you tell me about how many minutes per pound? Maybe end up spatchcocking a chicken(s) instead as they are always delicious. We had a storm come through last night but nothing damaged, thank goodness.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    J Appledog,
    Your recipe is SO awesome for the brined turkey (from Cat, who followed the John Ash method), plus your preparation notes, I'm respectfully demanding that you enter it in the Forum new recipe section. I have made it several times, and am always delighted with the results. It belongs with the recipes for all to enjoy.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Gloria Dugger,
    I'd go higher on the temperature to crisp up the skin; about 350-375 or thereabouts, indirect, rack over foil-lined pan to catch the drippings. Figure maybe 15 min/lb, but check with an instant-read or Polder thermometer. For delicious flavor, loosen the skin before roasting and season under the skin with herbs (anything you like), chopped or sliced garlic, and a little olive oil. Just my 2-cent's worth!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Gretl,[p]i second the motion and I use that brine on chickens all the time. [p]CB