Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock versus Beer-Butt

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I've had my "willie's chicken sitters" here for nearly 2 months now - haven't used them yet. I bought them because I kept making a mess in the kitchen trying to remove a beercan. But now that I've tried it, I just keep going back time after time to the spatchcock method. It's a faster cook, and puts out a mighty juicy bird.[p]Anybody else in this particular groove?[p]Can anyone give me a good reason why I would ever switch back?[p]- Mike[p][p]

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Been asking the same question myself. Take a look at something King O"Coals just did over that other forum where char woody hangs out. He makes a pretty good case for sitting a chicken on a throne. I'm following his step by step for what looks to be an unbeatable chicken. The only problem is it takes two to three days. Now that he's retired, I guess that's not a problem.[p]CB
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Biggest difference I can tell is a slightly more crisp skin with the beer butt. Did a spatchcock tonight, and it was delicious. Even the skin was good, just it would have been better if it were crispier.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I'm a convert to the Spatchcock method, too. I did a couple of them on Mr Big laast night and they were wonderful. I do raise the grill to hinge-height, as my previous problems with that method apparently resulted from the meat being too close to the heat source, resulting in uneven doneness and burnt skin. When cooking the Beer Butt birds, which are still (IMHO) very tasty, I use a small 6-oz tomate paste size can. This fits up inside the "Eiffel Tower" style chicken sitter I have, and it's easy to remove. I carve the bird as it sits up, though, and usually don't bother removing the can until cleaning up. [p]Comparison...I liked the Beer Butt method with my smaller-can modifications because I cooked it indirect on a pie plate and saved the resulting juice for gravy. HOWEVER, with the butterflied chicken, they're so juicy we don't miss having gravy. I asked Jim which method he prefers, and he said he likes the "road kill" (butterflied) version best. He's the resident focus-group impartial enthusiastic volunteer taste-tester, and I value his opinion.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p] If you flip the spatchcock halfway through, it gets pretty crispy, doesn't it?
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Flip it? You mean that's legal? Hey, eventually I would have thought of that.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Before I was introduced to the egg, I was a gas grill cooker. My favorite was the beer butt chicken. I have not been able to get a beer butt chicken off the egg that was as tasty as the one's I got off the gas grill. I assumed that with 90% of the heat on a gas grill coming from the bottom, and through the beer can, that was the difference.
    I do not do beer butt chicken on the egg anymore. I'm 100% spatchcocked, and happy with it.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear Charcoal Mike,[p]I vote for spatchcocked! I tried the beer butt, beer in the rear, chicken on a throne approach just once. It was so tricky to keep that fowl from falling! Maybe it was the beer in the can making it tip over (tipsy?). It was a mess. It did produce moist chicken, but I can get that quicker and easier with crisp exterior inside and out (yes I do turn it halfway through). I have found, however, that using the grill extender for the spatchcock method yields the best results as it avoids flareups and too quick a cook.[p]Just my 2 cents,[p]Ellen
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    What are you using for temps and time using the extender?I seem to have a problem in that it takes much longer than the posted times.(Have been using 350)
    Thanks

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Had your Willie's and haven't tried it and wondering why you even should?
    I'd never try a beer can again if that's all I had because I too had my share of spills, but with a Willie's...try it, you just might like the added flavors and spices and liquids you can add that way vs. the "road kill look"
    I have nothing personal to gain OK? I too like splatcocked birds, but sometimes even your wife might say I like a saluting bird instead of one that looks like it got run over!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear Jim R,[p]When using the extender and stabolizing around 350 I actually came closer to the recipe cooking times than when not using the extender. It may take a little bit longer (maybe 10 to 15 minutes more?). I use a polder so I monitor the temp more than the time. Without the extender using the same dome temp I had problems with flareups and the chicken was overly brown and in places burnt and cooked much quicker than the recipe times. I like new way of cooking better.[p]Ellen
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    Thats about what I found plus after sending the message doubled checked the thermometer (Dome)and found it reading 20 deg high.
    Thanks