Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long will a bag of Lump last?

Options
sambuca
sambuca Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to join the illustrious BGE club when I purchase a Large tomorrow. But how many cooks, or on average, how long does a bag of BGE lump last on a Large? How often will I be purchasing the lump if I'm cooking 3-4 times per week? Thanks. This forum has been great info thus far.

Comments

• eggheel
    eggheel Posts: 7
    Options
    I go through about a bag a month at a 3-4 a week cook rate. I tend to be a bit wasteful though and do a lot at least one high temp cook a week.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Grab a few extra bags tomorrow and you will see what works for you. Ribs 5-6 hours 250F, Chicken 350 1 hour, Save the high temp steaks until the gasket gets set. Keep a few eggstra bags for an uneggspected guest cook.. You will get into the grove soon. Welcome to the "CULT"
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I buy the "company" brand lump at Whole Foods -- It is Canadian-made, 8.8 lbs/bag, for $5+ change.

I use this because it is convenient, accessible and relatively inexpensive. Good, clean stuff, too... burns hot, very little ash, no nasty side-tastes.

I usually buy ten or so bags at a time, store it in the basement, raised slightly so as not to absorb moisture from through the concrete.

Some lump emits odors. This stuff does not... nor does BGE lump.

Be sure to test lump for odor before buying in bulk, if you're going to store in your house. I gave about a dozen bags of lump away due to stinkies!

Since you know you're going to use plenty of lump, load up when you get the chance on stuff you like. You'll discover your preferences as you experiment with different brands.

Sometimes, Wally's Word, Menards and other Big Box stores have some fine stuff at low prices.

Be careful not to buy South American woods... check the labels.

Good Luck -- and Welcome!

~ Broc
    B)
  • Depends on the type of cooking, but without ciphering too much, I'd guess 2 hours of cooking/lb of charcoal when cooking at 250 with BGE lump. Maybe 1 hour of cooking/lb of charcoal when cooking at 350-400. Understand that you can't just put in 1 lb of charcoal and expect to get to or maintain a temp of 350 for an hour. Expect to always start with at least 5 lbs of charcoal.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Welcome to the club.You will love the egg.I have a rubbermaid storage box that holds a full 20# bag.I also keep an extra bag in the barn.That seems to be plenty for me.I can drive 10 miles in three different directions from home and get more if needed.I only keep the extra bag because I am forgetful.A bag lasts me about a month usually.I cook 3-4 times a week on at least one of my two eggs.I have a small and a medium egg. :) If your dealer is close,I don't see a reason to buy a bunch.I would only buy a bunch if I found a great price on lump that I know is good.Good luck with your new toy :cheer:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Think you got plenty of good answers from these guys..just wanted to welcome you to the community!...be careful...it's VERY habit forming!! :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My lump bill for Jan/Feb was about $120 but that included the Super Bowl cook for 85 & the big brothers big sisters cook for 160 & a crap load of pizzas. Think if I was still using a gasser it would have been $200 minus the pizzas as I wouldn't have tried them. The lump is a mizer it's the chef that can't stop cooking. :woohoo: :( :woohoo: :( :woohoo: :( .
    Pat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Welcome to the cult! Once it has been confirmed that you in fact purchased a BGE someone will be over shorty to serve you a glass of green "Kool Aide" and show you the secret handshake!
    The main thing to learn is that your egg is miserly when it comes to lump consumption - unless you have a serious gasket/dome seating problem. So forget - I stress FORGET the misconception that you can egg for hours on end with a mere "handful" of lump! Some sales people are clueless and still spread that lie! Just cap it down, stir the remaining lump before starting again and be HAPPY that you have found the BGE way of life! Now...let us pray... :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I started with a 20# bag of BGE lump, I got 9 cooks out of it. One overnighter and the rest were 3 to 5 hour cooks. At $16 per bag I don't think that is too bad.

JoJo
  • sambuca
    sambuca Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks! I live less than 10 minutes from the BGE dealer, less than 5 from work, so it shouldn't be a big deal to go get more.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Now Now Mr. Broc. Nothing wrong with lump made with South American wood. There is something wrong with Royal Oak made with South American Wood.

Wicked Good is about the best on the market and it's made from a blend of South American hardwoods. All woods found in Wicked Good comes from Federally Regulated Tree Farms..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Anytime I started running out of lump I bought another Egg. Comes with a bag of lump.. So no problem.. :woohoo:

Seriously a bag will last quite a bit of time. Just ask my son I make him go to the shed and get another bag when I run out.. :laugh:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm not so sure about that, CW. Kingsford's brand lump is all from Argentina and it's notoriously sparky.
  • good question, but who cares? once you taste the food cooked on the egg the amount of lump becomes meaningless, kind of like the master card priceless adds. dinner at mortons for myself and my two sons $420 .costco choice [not prime] rib eyes cooked on the egg $ 25. " Dad, this is better than mortons" PRICELESS.
    welcome aboard and don't forget the initiation ritual.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    My point was and still is not all South American lump is bad. Broc statement implied that ALL South American lump is bad.

We all know Kingsford sucks..
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Has anyone found any that hasn't been sparky?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Kingsford -- NO

Wicked Good -- Yes
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    :P An 18 lb bag of RO lasts about 4-5 weeks. Thats cooking lunch 4-5 times a week and supper 4-5 times a week.