Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife question

Options
dblR
dblR Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would someone tell me the difference between Henkels and Wustoff? Is Wustoff worth the difference in price? Looking at steak knives.

Thans,

dblR

Comments

• Chad
    Chad Posts: 35
    Options
    While I'm not sure what the exact differences are, I can tell you I have Henkel steak knives and Wustoff prep knives and love both of them.

Actually on the Henkels are they the international line? You should be able to tell because on their symbol there is 1 guy, instead of their higher line which only has 2.

That could be why the price difference. Quality difference in that case, would be the steel they use.

If you don't mind, post up the two sets your looking at.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I thought it was the other way around for Henkels. Two guys = German made One guy = China made. Could be wrong

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have 6 Henkels four star with the gemini twins working knives and they have been very good to me for many years. Be careful some are now made in China and not the quality as the original.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's a real tough question to answer because all of the major manufacturers now have different lines like "cuisine" "hotel" and so on. I have old Henkels and wustoffs that pre date the lines and both are excellent. You just have to be sure you are comparing apples to apples. You might want to look at Global and Mac as well

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dblR
    Options
    lLooking at Wustoff Gourmet @ 60% off. $200 instead off $480.Henkels is the Twin Signature@ $90 instead of $209. Both are eight knife sets with Rosewood cases. Wanted something special for guest not everyday. Ordered Emeril's steakhouse knives for normal use.

Sorry,I am not computer aware enough to link. Cutlery & More has a sale.

Yours in green smoke, dblR
  • Chad
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    I thought it was the other way around for Henkels. Two guys = German made One guy = China made. Could be wrong

Steve

You're right.

Two guys = the good stuff
    one guy = average stuff
  • dblR
    Options
    Thanks. I have a Global satoku and love it.

dblR
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Mine have two guys. Mine have,
    "Zwilling
    J.A. Henkels
    Solingen Germany

Then on the other side of the two guys they have, " Professional S
    Friodur Ice Hardened"

the knife number and length and "No Stain"
    with a small I guess it is a graph type thing.
  • Chad
    Options
    I actually have the 4 piece set of those Henkel knives. They are the ones made in Germany, and will vouch on their quality. I was very impressed with them when I first picked them up. Now I hate having an ordinary steak knife at the table.

The Wusthof's appear to be just as good and seem to have the same quality of steel and handle design. I couldn't tell you why on the price difference. I would think brand name would drive the price up that much, but who knows.

Personally I'd get the Henkel's, they'll be just as sharp, look just as good and will save some money.

Remember to wash by hand, and occasionally sharpen.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Whatever you get, NEVER place in a dish washer. Also I keep my good cutting knives in a wood block with the back of the blade on the bottom and the sharp edge up.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    this was a gift and they are wonderful i have not had to sharpen them yet just take the steel to them if needed. based on my experience with whustof i recommend them
  • dblR
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Going to go with Chad's advice and save the $$.

dblR
  • dblR
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. Both say they are made in Germany. Just trying to figure out if Wustoff was worth the price diffrence. Normally $400 for eight steak knives versus $200 for eight steak knives.
    Again many thanks,

dblR
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry guy, I missed the steak knives part :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Wow--that set had everything in it! Thanks for the link.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hubby got me the 23 pc set of Wusthof for Christmas! :lol: he has bonus points for at least 5 years at this point. I love them, love them, love them!! Even after I cut the side of my thumb :whistle: cutting frozen bread and it rolled. was not pretty. but it sure made a smooth cut.
    He got them on ebay and the people were great to deal with. only paid 700.00 for them and had free shipping. Not sure if this is a NO,NO but here is the link. Julie
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Wusthof-8423-23-Piece-Mega-Block-set-Classic_W0QQitemZ320223148798QQihZ011QQcategoryZ32881QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    go with the one you like the looks of. i find both dull rather quickly, but are both easy to sharpen.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it