Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaming firebrick mythology

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some time ago, a respected elder swore to me that her secret for smoking involved soaking a couple of firebricks in water and then placing them on the grill to provide steam for the cooking. Anyone care to weigh in on wether this is master cooking or mythology?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sounds like the cooking was not on BGE as they hold moisture very well, even when a drip pan of water
    is involved.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Don´t think you need any of those bricks on the BGE.....however I do have a Roman brick oven & .always use the liquid pot mostly filled with wine......done it on the BGE and adds a nice flavour too.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    SoCalEgger,[p]You too, have responses over in the new forum. Scroll up and click on the link to get there.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    SoCalEgger,[p] You do indeed have responses on the new forum.[p]I do not believe that firebrick would hold enough water to add to entire lo 'n' slo cook. Remember water boils at 212 degs. (sea level). Lo 'n' Slo is usually done at 220 degs. grate. It would not take long for the water to boil off the bricks. 2nd reason is fire bricks are not very porous by nature so you'd only have surface moisture.[p][p]
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    When I roast anything -- at any temp -- I have a pan of water/juice-whatever under the roast...and keep the pan from going dry --

Keeps plenty of moisture within the Egg [even though the Egg is already superior re: holding moisture].

Makes everything come out juicy!

~ B
  • Hugh Does Cue
    Options
    I have two of those bricks down in the workroom. Am doing a few goodies this weekend. Am going to try it and will report results come monday.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't know why a water pan wouldn't do the same thing, honestly. the egg is so good at keeping moisture in the meat, i dunno if water pans are even necessary. dunno anyone here that bothers with them any more.

"firebrick" can mean a buncha things. from the good old masonry yard, it'd be the relatively dense brick used in fireplaces. not terribly absorbent. i'd bet my left n*t that the idea grew out of soaking regular bricks, but that safety-mindedness led someone to decide firebricks'd be safer. problem is, regular firebricks aren't very absorbent.

i bet fishlessman can get his hands on another type of firebrick, called refractory brick. that stuff is porous as heck (air is the insulator), and you can cut it with a handsaw. soaking that might be bad voodoo. if you had a soaked brick with water in the middle trying to turn into steam, well. POP. busted brick.

long way of saying "sounds good, but not bloody likely".
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante