Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just curious....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really enjoy reading this forum and you have been great help on a couple of occasions when I have asked a question. Maybe you guys can help me out on this: what would be the purpose in having more than one Egg and a different size? We have had our Egg only a few months, the biggest one, and we think it is fantastic. Most of the time, we use it to just cook for the two of us and just last evening we threw a couple of rib eyes on it. Would there be an advantage to purchasing one of the small Eggs, or the mini? And, by the way, we haven't seen the really small one or the mini. It just kinda seems to me that unless one does an awful lot of grilling that one Egg should just about cover it all......although I think that a small Egg would look cute sitting by the Big Daddy.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    muthah,
    I often thought a second smaller egg would be nice to have for doing veggies/potatoes while the meat is cooking on the big egg. I've cooked both together, but sometimes, the temps or whatever are different and two eggs would be easier.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    muthah,
    My large is just over a year old and I thought for sure I'd never buy another grill. But now...I want a second egg. I'm debating between a small or a mini. Reason being is if you're cooking just a couple of rib-eyes, it will save on lump since you won't use as much to cook. Also, as TNW points out, it gives you additional options for cooking different items at different temps. I'm thinking the mini could make road trips or like you point out, a small sitting next to Dad!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    muthah, I started with a medium. Now I have three. Sometimes, like today, I wanted to cook some ribs at 250 for about 4 hours and I also wanted to cook some spatchcocked chickens at 350 for tomorrow night. Rather than having to wait until I was done with the ribs to start the chickens I just did them both at the same time.
    My mini is great for just cooking a couple of burgers or for taking on the road. However, I could have probably gone a long time and been happy with just one. Now I am ecstatic. :-)))))))

• Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear muthah,[p]You have probably noticed some of my posts on this subject. [p]I have been loving my large for 2 months now and if I was to only have one BGE, this would be it because of its large capacity. It can handle the largest turkey and pizza with ease. Also, since it holds a lot of lump, one doesn't have to worry about not having enough for a long, slow cook[p]I find myself, however, wanting to cook more than one thing (with different temps) and that can mean spending more time than I want with the Egg. With one Egg, you have to time each dish carefully, one at a time stabolizing each new temp and keeping things warm while the next thing cooks. With more than one Egg, you can do simultaneous cooks or as some have said, cook your meat and sides at the same time. [p]I cook for one or two most of the time like you and can't help but feel that I am using a lot of lump and wasting a lot of grill space for these small cooks. As someone who has studied cooking for many years, I have found the rule of using the right size cooking vessel for the right amount of food a good one. I'm hoping for a more efficient cook using less lump over time with a smaller BGE. Most have said there is no difference in lump usage between the Eggs (except for the Mini), but a few have said that the small will use less than the large.[p]I have been thinking of getting a small BGE since the medium is almost as big as the large and the mini seems just too small. (I feel like Goldilocks and the porridge is jussst rigghht! :-) I believe that it could become our main cooker as its size should easily handle most of our meals. I have also been told that some folk like to use it exclusively for grilling steak. I believe I was told that the grill is a bit closer to the fire to account for this use. [p]Although we don't normally entertain on a grand scale, another Egg of any size gives even more grill space if needed. It is also unlikely that we would want to transport our BGE, but a smaller version does give one that option as well.[p]I hope these reasons satisfy your curiosity.[p]Ellen

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    muthah,
    I have a large and a small, and use them both often. Last weekend I cooked these fat porkchops and seared them on the large, them moved the chops over to a 300 degree small to finish roasting them. Or I can be cooking a low-slow on the large, while I cook burgers and dogs for the kids on the small. Then there are my frequent solo lunch cooks, where the small is perfect for just me. Not to mention all of the travelling "junior" has experienced. The little guy makes a great road partner.[p]I would feel deprived if I did not have both cookers. In fact, I think I need more.[p]Beers to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    muthah,
    I started with a large and about 3 months later added a small. Had I not gotten a super deal on the small, I would have gotten a medium to go eith the large.
    I usually use the large for the meat and the small for vegies or taters, etc.
    B D

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    muthah,
    I had my Large for about a year and a half, then got a Small for my birthday last October. I use them both frequently; the Large primarily for larger quantities (wings, for instance), a large turkey, two chickens, or pizzas and bread. The Small I use frequently for a quick high-temp shrimp/veggie wok cook for fajitas, or a couple of flattened chicken breastas, or a nice pot of slow-cooking baked beans or high-temp grilled asparagus or pineapple. Though I find it's not at all difficult to light the lump on either Egg, the Small gets up to temp more quickly, uses less lump, and I can usually get dinner on the table in warp speed. I wouldn't DREAM of giving up either of my BGEs. Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• muthah,[p]I have a large BGE and a small "other maker" but its the same as a small BGE. Anyway... that said... I like the small for it's lump savings... and times when you dont need that large of a cooker... or when you want to cook at two different cooking temps. It's like a second burner on your stove. I use it much much more than I expected to frankly.. and am quite glad I purchased it.[p]One thing I noticed on steaks and things you want to char is that it is much easier... and on small cooks... like a single steak or a couple burgers... the moisture level of the food is higher due to the smaller cooking chamber size IMHO. [p]Happy BBQ'ing... and take care. BB

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    muthah,
    Best I can say is "amen" to those below. I have a large and a small, and really appreciate the flexibility. I do most of my cooking on the weekend, and reheat during the week. This past weekend saw a beer butt chicken in the large, a small shoulder in the small. Week before it was a low and slow brisket in the large, blast furnace shrimp in the small. Like NB, I have a recurrent thought that I need a medium...

• regularguy
    Options
    view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-129221.html
    <p />Ellen aka Gormay,ellen i doalot on my small bge check out some of the pictures

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    garkit.jpg
    <p />muthah,[p]Although some think it's a fetish, I like multiple Eggs and cookers since we enjoy alot of entertaining and partying.[p]You can prepare several entrees and sides at the same time where each would have different time, temp and firespice requirements.[p]The "boys" have been cooped up in the garage for the winter and can't wait for summer to return to the deck.[p]K~G

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    regularguy,
    The pictures did not come through, please try again as I am thinking about adding a small to my large.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Is that sink in your garage on WHEELS?? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?[p]If I'm not crazy, how do you hook it up / drain it ?[p]- Mike
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    cart.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike,[p]Several folks have inquired about this. It's a Baker's and Chef's BBQ wet bar from Sam's Club and an Xmas gift from my wife a few years ago. It connects to a garden hose and has a drain line and I designed my deck to accomodate it. When in the garage for the winter, there is no water source or drainage but it does come in handy for storage.[p]K~G

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Seth ,
    Try right clicking on the red box and selecting properties and copy/paste the URL address into the internet explorer address location. This will bring you to the photo gallery

• KennyG,
    Where do you drain to? Out to the yard? I would like to add something like this to my patio, but need to have a drain outlet.
    thanks
    --lwp--