Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help BBQ Bean Recipie

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing up some ribs this weekend and need some recipie for some great BBQ beans to go with them.[p][p]Happy Egging,[p]
Regards,[p]js

Comments

• This bean recipe is from a bbq place (small chain actually) called the 17th Street Bar and Grill in Southern IL. I pulled it from the St. Louis paper awhile back. They are awesome!

Warning this recipe makes a ton and could easily serve 16-20.

Tangy Pit Beans

2 Tbs prepared yellow mustard
    2 1/3 cups ketchup
    1 cup diced onion
    1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup sorghum or honey
    1 to 1 1/2 Tbs Magic Dust (see recipe below)
    1 (28-ounce) can pork and beans
    1 (15- to 16-ounce) can chili-seasoned beans
    1 (16-ounce) can large red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (15- to 16-ounce) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (15- to 16-ounce) can other beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
    4 to 5 slices cooked bacon or a small amount of barbecued meat (such as pulled pork)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix mustard, ketchup, onion, bell pepper, brown sugar, sorghum or honey and Magic Dust; stir until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Fold in beans, mixing gently.

Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish that is at least 2 3/4 inches deep. (A shallower dish will overflow in the oven.) Distribute meat over beans; cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake 15 minutes or until bubbly.

(Leftover beans reheat well and may be frozen.)

Magic Dust

1 Tbs paprika
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, finely ground (see note)
    1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
    3/4 tsp dry mustard (see note)
    1 1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    3/4 tsp ground black pepper (see note)
    1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp ground red (cayenne) pepper

Combine all ingredients and stir well. Store in an airtight container.
    Note: Coarse kosher salt can be ground with a mortar and pestle or in a small bowl with the back of a spoon. For a spicier mixture, double the amounts of dry mustard and black pepper.

Enjoy!
    David
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    jerrys,
    you have a few answers at The New Forum [p]just thought you should know[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    js,

I am a big fan of scratch beans and I really don't care for the sweet "BBQ Beans". BUT....if you have not tried Keri's beans, you need to. The word "great" hardly does them justice. When I make these for work or a party I have gotten into the habit of photocopying the recipe because so many folks request it. At one big summer barbecue we had 3 kinds of beans, about 6 gallons of each kind. The 200 guests ranged from 10 to 90 years old. Hands down the Hog Apple Beans were the favorite.

Keri posts as KeriC on numerous forums and is an accomplished cook and competitor.

DSC02345aaa.jpg

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • How long do you cook them in the Egg Thirdeye?
    I'm guessing 275-300 for 3-6 hours?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    No more than an hour and a half if you are using something like a dutch oven or a deep half pan. Other than sweating the onion and peppers, everything else just has to come up to temp and cook enough for the flavors to blend.

The big batches I make I do in a Nesco Roaster. The bacon or crumbled fatty add plenty of good flavor. Besides, they are getting served with brisket and pulled pork...
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Thanks for the post, as always you guys on the forum are great and always there when someone needs some help. Cant wait until Sunday to cook up some St Louis ribs and the beans.
  • Thanks for the post, as always you guys on the forum are great and always there when someone needs some help. Cant wait until Sunday to cook up some St Louis ribs and the beans.