Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Pork Ribs

Options
Patrick
Patrick Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw some boneless pork ribs at the store, so I thought I'd try them.[p]Any suggestions on the best way to cook these? Indirect, direct? The label on the ribs does say something about indirect grilling.

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I'm no help, I have tried them both ways and was never happy with them.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I would cook them @225 indirect on a raised grid for three to five hours depending how thick they were cut.Rub the ribs with mustard or evoo and lay on your rub and let it set one to two hours.Cook till internal temperature reaches 175/185 and finish off with sauce for another 12/15 minutes per side.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to take them and place in an aluminum pan with 1/2 inch good beer, small rack to raise off beer, place in pan with favorite BBQ sauce over them, just to cover. Seal with foil and indirect 250F 3-5 hours.

Here is another method.

Pork, Ribs, Country Style

My grandfather bought two or three Kamado grills in California back in the late 1950's. One of them was for my father, who used it to make ribs until water got into it and froze one winter, shattering the smoker about 1990 or so. It wasn't until 1998 that Dad found the BGE and got back to proper smoking. Dad's recipes were not as fancy and evolved as recipes get these days, with various rub recipes, brining, and a dozen other things we didn't know about (dad does do all that now). We didn't even have real charcoal then. But I would still stack my dad's country style ribs (which are of course more of a pork chop than a rib, really) against anybody, anywhere, who doesn't have a Kamado or BGE smoker. The advantage of this recipe is that it is fast, easy, the meat is ridiculously cheap and everyone, and I mean everyone, will love it.

Ingredients:
    10 lb Country style pork ribs
    1 lb brown sugar
    1/2 cup salt
    5 cup BBQ sauce of your preference

Preparation Directions:
    1 Mix the salt and brown sugar in a bowl. Put the ribs in one at a time and coat them with the mixture. Stack them up on a cookie sheet or similar.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Fill the BGE to the top of the fire ring with lump charcoal. Add any wood chips to your taste. I usually mix them up with the lump. Preheat the egg to 200-220 degrees. Place the ribs on the grid. Leave the temperature at this range for 2 hours, then turn the ribs. Additional turns at your discretion. Cook the ribs for at least 3.5 hours, but 4.5 would be better and 6 would be excellent. One hour before the ribs are done, coat the top of the ribs with your barbeque sauce. Allow that to dry on a bit for half an hour or so, flip the ribs, and coat the other side. Cook for the final 30 minutes, remove the ribs and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Gerard Knorr gerard@knorrtech.com

Source: BGE Forum, Gerard Knorr, 08/01/07
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Havent made those in awhile. Sounds similar to what I did in the old bullet smoker. Thanks Richard for jogging my memory(honest it had nothing to do with the Thai sticks way back when :laugh: ) Gonna have to add that to the to do list.

Pat
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Patrick,
    Hope it's not too late, but there's some responses to your post on the new beta forum. They can see your post, but you can't see their responses from here. Just scroll up and click on the arrow in the green box to get there.