Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow! Beef Tenderloin on the EGG!

Options
rxdawg
rxdawg Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A big thank you to all who encouraged me to try a whole tenderloin on the egg for a dinner party last night! Had never attempted it, and was leaning toward the safe way out by using the oven.

Glad I didn't!

Coated the meat in olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper... seared at 700 on all sides and then cooked indirect at about 300 degrees until 125 internal.

Probably the best thing I've ever made on the egg!

Thanks everybody! Now what other new things can we try? lol

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    details??
    Did you sear in on the egg then let the egg cool down?
    How long did it take?
    Where did you keep the tenderloin while the egg was cooling? THANKS!
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Beef tenderloin roasts are the best! I perfected them on my grill last year so I can't wait to try one in my new egg!

I, too, am curious about the transition from the 700 to 300 degrees.

With my old grill, it was metal and drafty so the temps dropped rapidly from the 500f or so it could manage for searing down to the 300f range for roasting. I was able to just leave it on the grill.

With the Egg, I think it would take too long to drop from 700 to 300 (darned efficient thing! :lol: ). Did you hold the roast out until the temp change or is there a trick to dropping the temp quickly when needed?

Thanks for sharing!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • rxdawg
    rxdawg Posts: 24
    Options
    As far as the transition goes, all I did was shut the air off top and bottom and leave it alone for a while. It might have taken 30 minutes to drop in temperature.. not sure... long enough for a cold beer or two, lol.

While the grill was cooling I just moved the roast back into the kitchen on a cutting board. When the grill was cool enough I just put the meat on a v rack over a drip pan and cooked it indirect, just like it was a butt. When my polder read 125 degrees I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler

Served it with two sauces... a pesto and a horseradish sauce. Just awesome.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    when i did it, i took the tenderloins off the egg and foiled in a pan after then sear, closed down the egg and it takes roughly 20 minutes to go from 700 to ~350-400. i sear with the dome open. it's the trex steak method with a longer roast for the whole tenderloin. cut off the tails and and then the cook and spectators have something to nibble on while waiting for the larger pieces :woohoo:
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    When you closed down the top and bottom, after it got to 300, did you open them back up to finish cooking? No problem with this putting the fire out entirely?

Can you share those sauce recipes?

Last weekend I spent over 100$ on a beautiful tenderloin. I used it for fondue for a dinner I had donated at an auction. I felt the need to go the extra mile because the bidders had paid $1250 for the dinner. Normally I would use sirloin. The tenderloin was wasted on fondue. I didn't think it was as good as the sirloin for fondue.

It was a thing of beauty when I picked it up from the butchers (got it at Fischer Meats - the butcher who is one of our PNW Eggfest sponsors) and I really wanted to egg it! So now I'm dying to try it the right way.

Gwen
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    I feel your pain Dimple's.

I ruined (well over cooked) an $80 beef tenderloin not to long ago. Did this exact method but didn’t let my egg cool enough… and got distracted by my guests. I hit my internal temp but unfortunately did it quick and early and we waited about an extra 15 minutes or so while finishing the sides. My tenderloin wrapped in foil kept cooking and I ended up with more of a roast beef. My guest loved it but I was not happy with it. Lesson learned.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    If you haven't tried dry aging, give it a try the next time. 2 or 3 days before you plan on cooking the roast, take it out of it's package and place on a wire rack in a glass pan. Place the pan in the lowest shelf in your refrigerator. The day you cook, take it out and trim off any dried bits. Oil and season to taste, let it get to room temperature and cook. It's an amazing impact on the flavor and the way I do our Christmas tenderloin every year.