Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT recipe

Mega Egga
Mega Egga Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am going to try ABT's for the first time and would like any hints or suggestions to avoid any screw ups, temp. time etc. thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This might help.

Appetizer, Atomic Buffalo Turds

INGREDIENTS:
    12 3-3 1/2 Inch Jalapenos - fresh
    1 8 Ozs Pkg. Cream Cheese
    12 Ozs. Bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
    1 Package Smoked Cocktail Wieners (Lil' Smokeys)
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub
    Wood Chunks (Apple, Hickory, or Guava Wood work well)

Procedure:
    1 Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut
    2 the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can
    3 pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would
    4 like a hotter ABT).
    5 Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two
    6 halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure each end of
    7 the bacon with a toothpick.
    8 Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the
    9 bacon.
    10 Stabilize egg at 350° with a raised grid.
    11 Place a drip pan on regular grid to catch the drippings.
    12 Put 2-3 chunks of wood on the coals and place ABT’s on the raised grid.
    13 Cook about 45 minutes, then turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon, and
    14 cook for an additional 15 minutes.
    15 Allow to cool several minutes before serving.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '07, Egret
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    cut the jalepenos in half long ways, scrape out all seeds (i use a grapefruit spoon), make sure to leave the end on your jalepenos and when you are scraping out the seeds not to cut through the top either(your cheese will run out). get some room tempture cream cheese and place in a zip lock bag and add your favortie rub. cut corner out of the zip lock bag. line up all of your peppers on a cookis sheet cut side up. squeeze the zip lock bag to pipe in cream cheese into the peppers. add a hillshire farm lil smokie. wrap with a full slice of bacon wrapping it up the best you can (with the fukk slice you will not have to use tooth picks they will ruin abt's for you if you bite the wrong way on them). place on your egg indirect on a raised grid at 350 degrees for about an hour until the bacon is crisp..

these were shrimp instead of the lil smokie

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Instead of Smoked Cocktail Wieners I like to use 31/36 count shrimp. You can't go wrong with either. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • if you wrap them tight, you won't need any toothpix. they just get in the way anyway ;)

4jul07-009.jpg

abtnirvanaII-007.jpg

abtnirvanaII-006.jpg

abtnirvanaII-014.jpg
  • Love your raised grill set up! The ABTs look pretty good, too. The shrimp is a nice idea.
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    What rub is that on the outside...I like that idea!
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Richard's recipe is a good one. Then I like to top mine off when they're ready to eay with either some pepper jelly or Boar's Head Horseradish sauce.
  • dizzy pig jamaican firewalk, mon! :woohoo: ;)