Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can one save chicken stock?

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week we egged some chicken at 500°. After eating the chicken, which was excellent, I decided to toss in all the bones etc. in a stock pot and boil.

How long can one safely save chicken stock in the fridge (still in the lidded stock pot)?

Thanks, Kent

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The stock I buy in the box says to use within 1 week after opening it. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for checking on that for me.

BTW, nice array of eggs on the ranch out there. Out here eggin up to my knees in snow.

Kent
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    freeze it...

it should be safe in your fridge for a long while (salt, and boiling have done their job). but we just pour into a ziploc and freeze it laying down. when it's frozen, stand it in a shelf in the door with the others (if there are others)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    You can freeze chicken stock, my wife used to freeze it. She would freeze it in a ice cube tray and then put it in a bag. Perfect for the two us. I would wait for the next batch and freeze it fresh.
  • psiman
    psiman Posts: 7
    Options
    Stocks usually keep well for several days refrigerated and, well stored, for up to two months frozen (longer than that and they begin to pick up "off" flavors.
    ---from Michael Ruhlman
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Without freezing, cooked foods are only considered "safe" for a week in the fridge.

Let me suggest getting a pressure cooker. I've had sealed jars of stock made with a pressure cooker set to high pressure last 4 weeks with no sign of spoilage, and soups about 5. And they taste reaaalllly good, much better than regular boiling.

gdenby
  • AZRP
    Options
    When I make stock I make a big batch then fill sandwich sized ziplocks with 2 cups each, then freeze them. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i freeze it in ziplocks between layers of cardboard so that they freeze nice and flat. i probably wouldnt go more than 5 or six days and then go by smell, ive had one actually start fermenting in just a couple days in the fridge, never seen that before.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hugh Does Cue
    Options
    I make a variety of stocks. Chicken is our mainstay. I freeze all left over chicken bones until I have enough to do a stock, usually about a grocery bag full.

Once de-fatted, stock will freeze in tubs pretty much forever.

In your case, I would be reluctant to use it once it had sat in the fridge for anything more than 2 or 3 days.

Remember, chicken natuarally harbours certain bacteria, whereas beef or veal or lamb stock would be slightly safer.

Hint, that propane turkey fryer does nice job with the stock and keeps the smell out of the house. On colder nights, I just let it sit on the fryer for 8-10 hours after the flame has gone out, peel off the fat in the morning, slightly re-heat it to let the jelly reliquify, strain off the bones, and freeze into 1 litre tubs. For a very fancy consumee, I occasionally do a raft to clear it, but that's usually only done with a veal stock.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Probably the most important thing when making stock is cooling it when its done. The 4 hours between 40 and 140 applies to stock too. I use frozen water bottles and float them in the stock pot which is sitting in the sink filled with ice water. -RP
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i put this particular one outside in a snow bank, it must of picked up a really active yeast because it was bubbling quicker than some beers ive made. really fizzing. may of made a really nice turkey porter if i let it go. i dont remember if that was a stuffed bird or not, maybe the yeast came from some bread stuffing, anyways i pitched it into the neighbors yard :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• AZRP
    Options
    That might have been an interesting brew, next time throw a bubbler on it and see how it turns out. -RP
  • stike
    Options
    you make any lagers? that's the stuff that works best at 40 or below.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    havent made any in a long time, used to make stouts. my basement now is probably cold enough to make the lagers now
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    i'm working in my frikkin fieldstone basement right now. freezing my adze off. hand is feeling friggin arthritic.

i have a little space heater. one side of me is 115 degrees, the other is 45
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks folks for all the ideas.

The stock is 3 days old as I really didn't pay much attention to it until I saw stike's post.

I remembered I wanted to make some home made chicken soup but I don't want to get anyone sick.

Kent