Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Processors again

dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay In my quest for gyros I realized.......we don't have a food processor :huh:

Something we've said we need to get but never have.

There was a lot of talk a while back but I ignored it :blush:

Whats good and whats crap. I was thinking about an Oster I saw at Target but then read some online reviews that said it is crap. Found lots of raves for Cuisinart, but would like to spend a little less than that for something that is not going to get used every day although I'll spend the dollars if I need to. I have knives and cutting boards. I really need this thing to turn veal into a paste :>)

I saw some Hamilton Beach machines for 40-50 dollars. Obviously their quality is not the same as Cuisinart but are they complete junk?

Opinions oh wise cooks of Eggdome.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    do you have a KA mixer, that small plate that goes with the grinder attachment would probably work well. my bosch food proscessor is probably close to 10 years old, never gets used, hard to clean, and too big for what i use it for. its also got a broken switch and i need to plug it into an outlet with a switch. i would go for a cheap one and look for one that cleans easily.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I have a big square heavy duty Cuisinart and I just about burned it up making gyros, so get the most powerful one you can. -RP
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Try doing a Google search for food processors and see if any results include reviews. If not, do an "advanced" search adding "reviews". They come in various sizes & price ranges so there will be a lot to choose from. I recently bought a new toaster oven at a reasonable price and took it back the next day. It was a GE, toaster/convection unit and with a smart appearance it fit right in with my kitchen decor. Turned out it couldn't maintain a temperature of up to 75 degrees of what I selected! Perhaps someone will chime in with a recommendation to help you.. Happy hunting!

Rascal
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I own a Kitchen Aid model recommended by our very own ChefRD. I've had it for over three years. It does everything I've asked it to do and I probably use it at least three times a week. I grate parmesan at least once a week and that's a pretty violent procedure. :)

I'll try and post the model # later tonight.

All the best,
    Jim
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    To get the job done you can not do it for $70.00.The lowest priced unit from Cooks Illustrated checked n at $159.00.That was the Cuisinart DLC85.I would shop around on the net and find your best price.Just remember a VW can not catch a Vette..You do need muscle in a processor for many tasks.But it can not be bought for $39.00 to $89.00.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    We've had our Kitchen Aid for 6 or 8 years!

P32700312.jpg

It's an 11 cup heavy duty machine that will do just about anything you ask of it...(wich is more than can be said for me)!!

It also comes with a smaller Work Bowl for smaller jobs...which comes in real handy!!

You can buy them refurbed from KA...or used, to save some money...but you won't be sorry you got a good quality machine.

I just have never seen any cheap processors that had the guts ...when you needed it...or would last over the long run.

You could also save a buck or two by buying a smaller machine also.

Quisinart and KA both make 7 or 8 cup'ers, I think!!

Now...Give up the bucks....!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Chubby wrote:
    We've had our Kitchen Aid for 6 or 8 years!

It's an 11 cup heavy duty machine that will do just about anything you ask of it...(wich is more than can be said for me)!!

I resemble that statement! :woohoo:

You know the big problem with the KA don't you? Its red.......as in those Italians that love to screw everything and everyone......... Something in a nice Williams Blue or McClaren silver for me I think :whistle: