Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking With Cast Iron

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if cooking with tomatoes, sauce or paste, wine or vinegar will cause harm to a cast iron dutch oven? I've read that you shouldn't do this with a newly seasoned pot, but I'm wondering if this is still true after it has been well used. Tomatoes & the like ate through the insides of my Caphalon pots and I'll never waste my money on that brand again. Back in the 90's they had a no-quibble replacement policy, but that quickly disappeared when the vulnerability to acetic acid became apparent. With all the mention of newly acquired dutch ovens, I'm wondering if you can do a stew, chili, or whatever that includes tomatoes and the like... Just thought I'd hang this on the vine for what it's worth, and perhaps get some feedback. [p]Rascal[p]

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Rascal,
    I cooked some chili in a newly seasoned pot and it did take off the seasoning. Now I use my dads old CI and haven't had an issue yet.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Rascal,[p]The acids will harm or remove the seasoning, and if left unchecked, the pans themselves.[p]As long as you clean them thoroughly after cooking and don't store the food in the CI you keep the damage to a minimum. I cook chili a lot in my CI DO and don't have any issues. My cast iron is used very frequently and is very well seasoned.[p]That being said - enameled cast iron would be a better choice for acidic dishes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rascal,[p]The responses so far are interesting. I have used dutch ovens all my life. Sometimes almost daily and other times with years inbetween uses.[p]I have cooked heavy tomato based foods without problems and have not had any issues. That being said my pans are well seasoned and I don't recall cooking acidic cooks one afte another.[p]I use very little or no soap when cleaning. I do use light soap and fabric wash cloth after any acidic cook.[p]Fidel and Mike in Abita have first hand accounts of problems. So, I would say defer to yes there is problems.[p]You will find the majority of people here say yes it is a problem.[p]Personally I don't worry about but after cooking in some ceramic cast iron I am going to move in that direction.[p]Walmart has some ceramic cast iron that is very inexpensive. I picked up a 16qt the other day for $27.[p]I love dutchin in the egg. When I dutch in the egg I alwsy dutch naked. Un, that leaves a wrong mental picture... that is no lid.[p]Goog eggin, Kent