Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast cooked Butt with pictures

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to give it a try, Fast & Hot.[p]At 0:00 hours I had the egg stabilized at 370° grid and 410° dome. 9# butt.
At 2:45 hours meat prove 167°. I pulled, quickly foiled and replaced on grid.
Butt looked good, dark and brown.[p]3:46 – 181°
4:47 – 191° +10° in 1 hour
6:00 hours 193° (only a 2° increase)[p]At this point I am getting concerned as it would seem to me the meat temp would be higher. Checked Grid and dome all stable as above. [p]After a quick post on the forum I decided to again check the pit temp (grid temp). All is well there. I went to the forum and other post and do some reading of other posts.[p]7:00 – 193° odd. I decided to go and check pit temp and meat temp. All good. Then I decided to thermopen the meat.[p]The meat thermopen’d at 199° to 202° depending where I probed.[p]I pulled the meat and this what things looked like after a 15 min rest.[p]I included some close ups.[p]egghfham1.jpg[p]egghfham2.jpg[p]egghfham3.jpg[p]egghfham4.jpg[p]Some observations…
No sauce or liquid added after pulling from the egg.[p]I must have had the meat probe in a pocket of some kind as the thermo pen was about 8 to 10° higher than the meat probe.[p]I ‘think’ I could have pulled the butt at the 5 to 6 hour mark.[p] I am not sure if the following was due to the cut of meat or the cook or a combination of both.
The meat pull was unusually easy, a bit surprising - possibly due the longer cook time. As can be seen in the pictures the meat is moist. Very tender and flavorful.[p]The bark seemed to have more flavor and harder than the L&S’s I have done before.[p]I am going to try this again and pull somewhere between the 5 and 6 hour mark. If he meat is not as tender as this test I may go to the 7 hour time (or 202° to 205°)[p]I went to what is supposed to be a good bbq place here in town and by hands down, the egg pulled pork was much better than the commercial pulled pork.[p]I am sure I will be doing more Low and slow but this fast method sure is a good method.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Looks good, GG. Was it all usable or did you find the outer parts dried or overcooked? I'm doing my first butt for NYE and am looking for options. I'm considering a low-n-slow, but might do something in-between if it gives a good result.
  • Michael B
    Options
    Granpdas Grub,[p]The differences between your thermopen vs. regular probe readings make sense. With the higher pit temp, the outer portion should be hotter than the core of the roast. Lower cooking temps allow for very even cooking of the meat throughout. Taken to an extreme, a hot enough cook could have the outside charred to ash with a core still cold and bloody.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Michael,[p]The meat prove was the DigiQ2 probe and I tried to place it mid center mass on the butt. However, I seeyour point.[p]When I thermopen'd I did push the probe about 3/4 of its length into the meat. I an guessing that was mid meat. I probed in 10 or 11 different places some close to the outside of the meat. I wish I would have followed the q2 probe and took a reading there.[p]I will have to check calibration of the q2. It could have been centered in somekind of pocket an thus giving an 'off' reading.[p]The extreeme would sort of be TRex'ing.

• Grandpas Grub,[p]Looks yummy![p]Have a Great New Year![p]~ Broc[p]

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Broc, I hope you and the Mrs are have a good holiday.[p]I was suprsed how nice this turned out and how quick.[p]
    It also gave me some ideas of other things to try. It was a worthwhile exercise for me.[p]My best, Kent

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Granpdas Grub,[p]I am sure I will be doing more Low and slow but this fast method sure is a good method.[p]Nice job on that. On your next test run, try resting at least 2 hours. Because of the high pit temps, I stay away from sugar based rubs, after pulling I will bump the pulled meat with some fresh rub before serving. I also defat the liquid from the foil and mix some of it into the pulled meat. Here is another tip, If you notice excess greasiness with this method, trim the surface fat close. At high temps the rendering process does not work as well as when using barbecuing temperatures.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the advice. [p]I am not understanding 'bump the pulled meat with fresh rub when serving'. I used a dry rub.[p]In the foil when I opened there was at leat an inch of liquid. About 1/2 inch was gone after taking the pictures and cutting the end to take the third picture. [p]If I let the butt rest for 2 hours I would think all the liquid in the foil would be back in the meat. [p]I could drain the foil then rest. Degreas, pull and add liquid back in.[p]There was good amount of fat on the brisket which I left and put rub over and cooked fat side down. Most of the fat cap came off when getting the meat out of the foil. I pulled the meat down to the fat and then tossed the fat.[p]When looking at the fat I notic a bit of different texture. The pulled pork did not have a 'greasy' taste what so ever. I ate some samples from different places to see if there were any differences. [p]A little of the bark was hard but for the most part those outer pieces were firm to lightly crunchy but extremely tasty. I didin't mix the bark and pulled pork. [p]Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,[p]By "bump" I meant add more dry rub to the pulled meat, a bump in flavor.[p]During a long rest the amount of liquid will equalize within the meat and the remainder will collect in the foil. You can always add some additional apple juice or broth before foiling, but I usually find that is not necessary.[p]If you did not have any grease issues, no need to trim excess fat. Just keep it in mind if you should get one with a heavy fat cap. Sometimes you don't realize just how much fat remains until you look in the pan of pulled meat which has been refrigerated overnight.[p]You will always get some really crunchy bark, which is not use-able. I like to chop some of the good bark to mix in for flavor. I let the color of the bark determine when I foil. I don't always wait for the butt to reach the target temperature. If it gets too dark I will tent or wrap in foil and return to the pit or oven to finish cooking.[p]~thirdeye~[p][p][p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Man, you guys are good! I've only done two cooks for L&S pork butt, and I'm just trying to keep the fire on. Didn't know about all the other stuff you guys mentioned (juice, fat cap, high-temp cooks, bark)

Wow...it is really good to read about that here.

Thanks, guys :)
  • Granpdas Grub,
    what was your egg setup and how did you build the fire? did you use any wood? what rub?

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    GG,
    Looks good! Please post the particulars.
    Send it on down to Mississippi so I don't have to cook one,
    Hammer
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    I've used the high heat method for both butts and briskets at times when either I didn't hace time to do a long cook or didn't want to be watching pit temps all night (this was pre-Egg :) ). Whenever I do a high temp cook I inject the meat to give it extra moisture. Also, I watch the bark color and foil based on color rather than meat temp. I've also gone to cooking butts with the fat cap down on high temp cooks to insulate the meat from the heat.

The porked looks great, GG! I think I like the flavor and texture of a low & slow butt better, but to me the difference isn't that dramatic. How did the flavor compare to a low & slow butt to you?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Other than paperika, salt and pepper, I have never considered putting any seasoning on food after the cook. I will have to give it a try.[p]The pork did not taste dry. I will try adding some broth or apple juice. I can see where that would be bennicial.[p]I used a drip pan before foiling then put the foil pouch back on the egg. There was a large amount of fat with some liquid in the drip pan. I just tossed all that. Probably I should have separated and saved those juices.[p]Other than the bark which covered the fat I would guess the hard unusable bark amounted to 10%.[p]I probably should have chopped the remaining up. However, it go to good use, finger food and some found its way into a few dinner rolls.[p]Thanks Wayne, I very much appreciate you input.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rick,[p]Normal stacking of lump and mapp start. Plate setter with grid. I used some chunk hickory.[p]I had some Famous Daves which when uncooked has too much celery smell for me, but that is what I had at the time. It tasted good at the end.[p]The meat went in the egg at 43° and I foiled by time not look or temp.[p]Kent
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It certainly looks good. One thing I notice is that in your foil you seem to have a good bit or liquid. I rarely have more than a Tbsp or so after a rest.

Also, I don't see the blade bone in your pic. Was it poking out and easy to pull out of the meat like a traditional BBQ cook would do?

I wonder how this meat will stand up to reheating, next day, etc.

Thanks for doing this comparison. I plan to do one myself as well.
  • Grandpas Grub,
    thanks, gramps *L*

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I neglect to ask two questions in the previous post.[p]I have only foiled on this cook and one other. I foiled by time only and I think the end result in this cook was getting close to becoming too dark. I wish I would have taken a picture when I foiled but as I recall the meat was pretty dark when foiling.[p]At what point do you decide when to foil?[p]Lastly do you foil your low and slow butts?[p]Kent
    Does much bark develop after being foiled?

• thirdeye
    Options
    7c583015.jpg
    <p />Grandpas Grub,[p]With the exception of #5 below, I decide to foil based on color. Whether it's a butt or brisket (cooked fast or slow) or even a turkey for that matter, I want the best flavors from the bark. In these first pictures you can see the color when I foiled. If they make it without foil until they are done, great. But I foil anyway during the holding time (which is just as important as the cook time). No more bark will develop after foiling and the bark you have before foiling will soften during holding, which is fine because you are after flavor more than crunch. [p]DSC02850.jpg[p]DSC02849.jpg[p]These are not ready for foil.[p]DSC02847a.jpg[p]
    Here is the deal with foil; It can be used if:
    1. Certain meats are coming out too smokey, foil can protect the flavor.
    2. Your meat is getting too dark. A tent or a full wrap can protect the color you want.
    3. Your meat is not as tender as you like it, or it is too dry. Very popular with ribs, braising in foil really works. I'll finish smaller brisket flats in foil to keep them moist and to add tenderness. I also make a "wet pastrami" which is finished in foil for the same reasons.
    4. You need to hold meats. Foil is a convenient way to provide some insulation and keep the juices close to the meat while it's in a cooler.
    5. You need to speed up your cook. Foiled meats cook faster than un-foiled meats.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thank you, you have help me understand more about this test, things I would have not connected. I also have a pastrami question but that will be in another post.[p]I think I know the answer to this but I need to ask to make sure I am not making a wrong assumption.
    when you finish in foil do you pull the jucies and seperate then add back after pulling?[p]The meat start temp was about 40°. I am also a bit puzzled about why this butt took so long of a time to climb from 181° to finish. Almost 2/3 of the time increase the last 20°![p]With the importance of the after cook rest, isn't the rest really part of the cooking process. The butt is in a sence still cooking during that rest period.[p]Here is what I think I have learned from my test on this 'fast cook' and your comments.[p]. I got great meat flavor with this method.
    . Smoke flavor was not as much as I would have liked, due to foiling.
    . I did not foil quick enough my bark was too dark on this and most of my other cooks.
    . The meat was unusually tender and almost fall apart which I think is more to do with foiling rather than the fast cook.
    . Even though my bark was great, I think I can gain a much better bark by striving to get to your example in the first picture.
    . I would be hard pressed to say which tasted better, fast or the slower cook. I am going to have to do and try to get somewhat of the same end time to be able to say which has better flavor. I will also have to use the same prep, foil and rest times.
    . I need to use foil more with my cooking.[p]My next testing. I really want to test some more with fast cooking. I want to see if I can complete a 8# to 10# butt in 4 hours.[p]I am more interested in slowing down somewhat and trying to acomplish what I see with thirdeye's pictures above.[p]Wayne, to me those results are incredibly impressive an a great goal for me to work towards.[p]I did go to a nationally ranked bgq resturant and bought some pulled pork. Without any question my fast cook litterly kicked their butt a good one, punn intended. What I paid for their pork sandwhich I could have purchased another butt for the egg.[p]Thanks thirdeye for your help.

• thirdeye
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,[p]You bet, save the foil juices; defat them and they can be used as-is or used to thin your favorite sauce. I usually mix some of it into the pulled pork and the remainder can be served at the table.[p]Yes, butts and brisket both continue to cook during the time they are holding in a cooler. Depending on the type of insulation (crumpled newspaper, towels, etc.) the cooking goes on a while. That's why you have to be careful of the finish temp and the amount of time you plan on holding. A brisket for example pulled at 200° and held for 4 hours may in fact cook itself too tender for good slicing. The same brisket pulled at 190° may be just right.[p]As far as some of the things you have learned and the little things I pointed out, just keep good notes so you can tell what works best for you. I would vac seal a bag of this pulled pork to compare to the next batch.[p]We all love to cook traditional barbecue, myself included, and those methods are tried and true. Using different spices, temperatures, injections, foil, specific cookers, woods, Guru's etc., all have their place. I was talking to tjv before Christmas about backyard cookin' in general and I told him that the first cooker I used with a pit thermometer was my Egg. We both shared a chuckle about that.[p]I wouldn't get too carried away with high temps, or your results may nosedive. A fast cook usually requires a longer rest. BobbyQ mentioned the other day he has gone as high as 600° on butt cooks, but that some of the meat was not usable.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~