Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xtra Large smoking capacity

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in Pre-Sale Questions
Hello,
I have been lurking around here and I am wondering if anyone can tell me the smoking capacity of the Xtra Large green egg...ie can it smoke 6-8 picnics...and in cooking a large amount of meat...does the dripping hurt the inside of the egg? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TulsaMurph
    Options
    I noticed your post had not been answered, so I'll answer what I can. I have a large, not the XLarge, so I don't know about capacity, but as far as drippings go, I have cooked a little bit of everything on mine and the drippings don't hurt a thing. Of course, when cooking something like a pork butt, I use an indirect setup with a drip pan under the meat, on top of the plate setter. I do the same with a brisket, but the brisket always starts out bigger than my drip pan, so I end up with stuff dripped all over the place anyway. The only thing the drippage seems to bother is when you get some on the gasket, the gasket tends to be a little sticky, and if you drip it down the inside of the front of the egg, it can find its way into the track of the bottom vent door. Neither poses any real problem in my experience.

Hope that helps!
    Happy egging,
    John
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    Duplicate, please delete.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Sorry for this major delay. Till today I didn't even know this section existed.on the .net site. It doesn't on the .com site. Most of us prolithic posters post on the .com site.

To answer your question: Yes it will hold 6 butts easily. Drippings doesn't hurt the egg at all.
  • Eggnificent
    Options
    Good mornin'!

I have plans to throw and 11# brisket on my XL this afternoon for an overnighter! Can't wait!

To answer your question, I think it really depends on the size of the butt. Can you cram seven 15lb picnic's on there? If you got crafty with the setup, you *might*. Never tried it - but just knowing what they look like in the cold case, it might work. Could you get a solid probably five of 'em in there no problem? I'd say yes to that one.

When I go indirect, I usually put the plate setter on the firebox, legs down and then put a very large cake baking pan from AC Moore right on top of that for my drip pan. That'll catch a good amount of stuff. The upper ring goes on the setter and grid on top of that. If you want to cram more in there, you might be able to devise a little rig to take out the upper fire ring and get the grid down lower. Or a smallter grate in there down lower right over the drip pan.

I will say with that much meat, you'd certainly be looking at a looooong cook and you would have to refuel.

As far as picing the size egg you want.....most folks here have a large. I thought long and hard about it. Considering I got it at an Egg Fest, I basically paid less-than-large pricing for the XL. Which was great. But because I do some large cooks at times and because I didn't want to look back in three months and wish I went bigger, I went with the XL. Sureit burns some more fuel. But coming from a Char Griller, I easily use 1/2 to 1/3 less fuel overall and can cook a lot longer and much more steadily.

Whatever you choose, you'll love it!
  • Smokin' Blues
    Options
    I have smoked a 13lb brisket on the XL, also it will hold 2-7# bone in turkey breasts. 6 full racks of baby backs in a rib-rack, it's great!
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    Options

If you are going to cook a lot you need the AR from Ceramic Grill Store.  I have seen pics of ~ 6  butts on an XL: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/photo-gallery.html?vsig180_0=6