Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for re-heating a cooked spiral ham

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How would you guys re-heat a cooked, spiral-sliced ham on the egg? I weighs 10lbs and the oven directions say to wrap in foil and heat at 325 for 10-12 min/lb.

Comments

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    BPM,
    first. wrap i tightly and follow the instructions. if you want to add sauce or mustard before foiling, do according to your taste, BUT follow the instructions.
    creativity and spiral ham don't mix. they are easy to dry out. since it will be foiled it will not get any egg goodness, might as well use the oven. grill the asparagus on the egg.
    happy ham.

• Yeah, I figured I wouldn't get the full "Egg Effect", but the oven is gonna be tied up and the ham was free so I thought I would give it a shot. I may try a couple of minutes at the beginning with it uncovered to get a little smoke in there. Thanks for your answer and I hope you have a safe and happy week.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    BPM,
    First & foremost, I am not a foil follower. To me, it is akin to boiling your product. [p]I learned that when you lay a spirial cut ham on its side, the heat enters the slices & dries the ham.[p]I stand the ham on the cut end. That has solved the problem.[p]I reheat/cook it l@ 225 to 250. I have a perforated griddle that I set the ham on.[p]As usual, I spritz hourly with 1 bottle of olive oil & another of apple juice.[p]

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    bill, I beg to differ. Yes they can dry out - but if you are careful you CAN take full affect of the egg. Remember - the ham is already fully cooked so all you are doing is warming it up and adding flavor. 1st I tie it up, usually 1 string is all you need. All you are doing is holding up the slices so they don't fall over. Then put the ham in a foil pan. I smoke indirect for about 30 minutes and then brush with a glaze. Any kind will work. I use a glaze of mustard, and honey. I then turn the heat up a little to brown/set the glaze and cook for another 30 or so. You will never foil wrap a ham again !!!!

• BPM,[p]My goal was/is to duplicate a Honey Baked ham. I did 2 test hams in preparation for the real cook.[p]The first test was egrets suggestion. Good but the crust was too hot for us – I am guessing the amount of ground pepper. Great tast this turned out a but dry but that was my fault as I let it cook too long.[p]On the next I was going to do Alton Brown’s method but it turned out more of a modified egrets method. This turned out great but no ‘bark’ as this second test was going to make soup.[p]I got a good size fully cooked spiral cut ham. On the second attempt I left it in the vacuum plastic pack. I could only fine grade maple syrup so that is what I used.[p]Took the ham out of the fridge and injected in as much as I could maple syrup. About 14 oz. I l et the ham sit while getting the egg up to temp. No rub, mopping or flavor on the outside of the ham what so ever.[p]I used a raised grid 15” foil covered ss pizza pan as a drip pan at felt level (no liquid in the drip pan). I then used the grid extender so the bottom of the ham was about 1 ½” above felt line.[p]Egg temp stabilized at 350° dome. I put on 3 good sized chunks of hickory on the coals. I cut and unwrapped the ham and took it out and put it cut side down on the extender and closed the dome. About 3 hours later I opened the dome and began checking the inside temp of the ham. [p]Pulled the ham at 130° and let it rest. I am guessing it continued to heat to about 135°. This turned out fantastic. Moist and very flavorful. [p]We ate about 6 to 8 layers of the spiral cut then cut the rest into chunks and put everything into the 16 qt cooking pot, ham, bone, skin, fat. Added 3.5# of soaked and drained baby lima beans, added some diced, spuds, onion, celery, carrots and some and let this all simmer for 5 to 7 hours. Had a bowl and put the pot in the fridge. [p]Next day, skimmed off the fat and reheated for the party. This was the best ham and bean soup yet thanks to smoking in the egg.[p]On Christmas day the only change will be to add some honey and ginger snap rub to the outside of the ham.[p]On the medium we will be cooking some Pastrami. Christmas brunch will be a choice/combination of ham and Pastrami plus some salad’s.[p]Kent

• Grandpas Grub,[p]Sounds great. have any left for a ham salad sandwich.?
    This might help. Happy Haming![p]Pork, Ham, Honey, HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze

This was posted on the Klose web site a few weeks ago. Hope it helps.TSR has discovered that the tender hams are delivered to each of the 300 HoneyBaked outlets already smoked, but without the glaze. It is only when the ham gets to your local HoneyBaked store that a special machine thin-slices the tender meat in a spiral fashion around the bone. One at a time, each ham is then coated with granulated sugar that has been mixed with spices - a blend that is similar to what might be used to make pumpkin pie. This sweet coating is then caramelized with a blowtorch by hand until the glaze bubbles and melts, turning golden brown. If needed, more of the sugar-coating is added, and the blowtorch is fired up until the glaze is just right. It is this careful process that turns the same size ham that costs 10 dollars in a supermarket into one that customers gladly shell out 3 to 4 times as much to share during this holiday season. For this clone recipe, we will re-create the glaze that you can apply to a smoked/cooked bone-in ham of your choice. Look for a ham that's pre-sliced. Otherwise you'll have to slice it yourself with a sharp knife, then the glaze will be applied. To get the coating just right you must use a blowtorch. If you don't have one, you can find a small one in hardware stores for around 15 bucks. We'll leave this recipe up for 2 weeks to get you through Christmas. Happy Holidays!!
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone-in, pre-sliced is best
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground clove
    1/8 tsp paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

Yield: 1 holiday ham.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, K, 12/20/06[p]Top Secret Recipes[p]HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze[p]1. First you must slice your ham. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed. You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they begin to fall apart or off the bone. You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom. You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.[p]2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.[p]3. Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface, such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto the wax paper and spread it around evenly.[p]4. Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated. Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer surface which you have sliced through.[p]5. Turn the ham onto its flat end on a plate. Use a blow torch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but won't burn. Spin the plate so that you can torch the entire surface of the ham. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well-glazed (don't expect to use all of the sugar mixture). Serve the ham cold or re-heated, just like the real thing.

[p]

• Richard Fl,[p]Richard, thank you VERY MUCH for sharing the information.[p]Except for those few slices we put the entire ham into the soup.[p]I am heading out to find a metal 'lazy susan' right now, that will make the glazing process very easy.[p]Merry Christmas, Kent