Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what to cook on an XL BGE for first cook?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We bought an XL BGE for a son for Christmas. What do you suggest for the first cook. I thought of trying a turkey . We like smoke flavor so how would you do it. Would like to cook it Christmas day and eat it that evening.
Thanks for any help.[p]

Comments

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]My first cook on the XL was ribs but if you want turkey, you're gonna get a lot of Mad Max Turkey responses.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    jcmdej,
    In order to do a turkey you will want to use some type of indirect set-up....not sure what you have available to achive this...it's not as easy to use a drip pan with the stock cooking grids on the XL.[p]Wess

• Michael B
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]Look down the list just a little:
    [ul][li]About to here[/ul]
  • jcmdej,
    My father-in-law just got an XL, and he hasn't used it yet. Can you believe that??? I'll be the first to use it this weekend, and I'm going to fire up ribs on Saturday, pork loins and fatties on Sunday and turkey on Monday. I've never done a turkey before, and I've never used an XL BGE before (I have a large), but I am confident that whatever comes out of the egg will be very good. I plan to follow the Mad Max method and see what happens. The turkey is 14 lbs. I'm guessing a cook time of about 4.5-5 hours at 325, but I'll use the old meat thermometer to be sure it's done properly.