Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or Large???

Options
chill
chill Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large BGE now, but there have been several times that I really could have used a XL. My question is should I upgrade to the XL and get a small for when it is just me and my wife, or get another Large or Med for when I have guests over? I think it would be easier to just have say an XL going for a big group rather than keeping up with 2. Just would like some imput on people that cook on the XL's and so on. Do they hold temps well?
Thanks so much!

Comments

• Zen Egger
    Options
    chill,
    My vote is for getting another Large Egg for those times you need more space.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    chill,
    I like both the large and the xl...What I like about the xl is you can cook 3 or 4 things at one time with all the grid space and a 16# butterflied turkey looks like a chicken does on the large.
    Larry
    97a6.jpg
    November07009.jpg

• chill, after the large, we got a small to go with it. Having two different smokers allows two types of cooks simultaneously, which has been great for us. Of course, what I want now,is an XL. All these photos of 47 slabs of ribs laying flat on the XL, all at the same time, are starting to get to me!

• chill, I would suggest you get a large. You could get a large and a medium (or a small). This way you can cook two things at once at different temps. Even if you want to cook two things at once at the same temp, when using one egg you will need to be opening the egg to tend to one item and not the other. It may not be a big deal, but I do not like to have the egg open more than needed. As for grill space, a large and a medium has almost the exact same space as an XL. I like doing pizzas, and a 12 inch pie is fine with me, but if someone is going to do many pizzas, and prefers larger ones, an XL would be the king. As for price, I think a large and medium is slightly more than an XL, and I think a large and a small is slightly less than an XL. No matter what route you take, you are going to end up in a great place.
  • jonesey
    Options
    chill,[p]I got an XL for the simple reason that we have big neighborhood and family gatherings. Kind of a tradition in "the hood" that I do the "Q" ing and everyone else brings the sides. If it's more for the family I would suspect you would rarley need the XL. Having said that....I love all the room! Either way..you can't go wrong. Enjoy
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    chill,
    I have an XL now and often wished I had got a large, but now that I have some items from the eggaccessories.com website(many thanks Tom), and I plan to get more as soon as he has them, I love my XL. Also, just got a small egg as I found I often heated up the XL just for myself and wasted a lot of lump. I haven't tried the small as I haven't shoveled off the 18 inches of snow we just got so I have no place to set it up. I think you will be happy with whatever you get, from what I see there isn't a "bad egg" in the bunch.

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    YB,
    What is that wire rack on the bottom? Where might a guy find one?[p]Also do you add water to the foil pan?[p]Thanks a lot![p]Bob

• chill
    chill Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all th advice, like I said, I already have a Large Egg, just trying to figure out which route to go for the times I have a bigger group. Im starting to think a XL and a Medium might be my choices. I think I would like having the space of the XL for lots of burgers, I had 8 burgers on my Large not to long ago and it was actually pretty tough to flip everything. (big burgers) And I think the Medium would be perfect for just my wife and I.