Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken drummettes

Options
Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try some on the egg this evening. I probably need to go direct, any suggestions for temps and time. I tried to do a search and could not find anything. Thanks[p]Gene

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Crimsongator,[p]375, raised grid if you can, for about an hour.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Fidel, I have an extra ring that goes with the 3 tier. I can put that on to get the grid a bit higher. [p]Gene

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Crimsongator,
    I'm thinkin raised grate direct around 350 somewhereabouts 45 minutes. They also work nicely lower, like 275-300 for an hour plus. If you have the time, it;s nice to take a sharp knife and cut the skin and tendons all the way around the base of the bone, and push em up into lolipops....with a clump of meat on the end. They cook more evenly this way, are easier to eat, and they look pretty cool too ;-)
    Beers, and have fun with 'em!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    wings2.jpg
    <p />Crimsongator,
    Might be to late, but NB has a crispy wing recipe on his site. They work great for drumettes or whole wings.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Here is one of his great recipes.[p]Wings, Chicken, Dipping Sauce

Howdy! The wings were a hit yesterday. Big hit. Here is the recipe I concocted from those that Gfw and YB posted (thanks for the tips)...it was excellent with the wings and also with crisp veggies.
    [p]Ingredients
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp parsley flakes
    A few tablespoons of milk.

Procedure:
    1 I mixed all the stuff together, and refrigerated. Kind of strange how it gets thinner after chilling! After 3 hours, I added a few tbsp of milk until I achieved desired consistency, then returned to fridge for 3 more hours. Good stuff.
    2 Hope everyone is havin' a fab weekend.
    3 NB

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Nature Boy, 11/19/00

[p]

• Crimsongator,
    I just did a bunch last night. Direct at about 350. Turn every 10-15 minutes until they are brown with good grill marks.
    For the sauce, I use the true buffalo wing sauce. For the 12 I soaked in this sauce, I put half a stick of butter in a metal bowl that was sitting on a sauce pan with water simmering in it. Then add 5 tablespoons of red hot sauce. Then when the wings come off, toss them in the sauce and shake them around a bit. This is becoming my "grill filler". Everytime I cook, if there is room on the grate, I throw on the wings.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    OMG I don't even remember that. I'm printing it out now LOL.
    That was seven years ago. Funny how when you try new things every meal you forget about stuff. I bet I can find it in my paperwork box somehwere.....but now after the fire I got a new box started, and this is going in it! Looking at it now, though....hmm...looks like a little more dijon and a squeeze of lemon juice might do the trick. Hee![p]Thanks man.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Everytime I cook, 3 pounds of drummets are on the grill.

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up doing them around 275 to let them go a bit longer, until company arrived. Everyone was impressed. Not bad for a first time doing the little drummettes. The only problem is I needed another pack.[p]Gene