Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did anyone try AB's "honey brined smoked turkey"?

Options
BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had so much fun with the MadMax t-bird we want to do it again this weekend but thought we would try something different. Did anyone try Alton Brown's "honey brined smoked turkey"yet and if so did you make any alterations to his recipe for the egg.[p]If you have not tried it but would make an adaptation for the egg I would appreciate your input...as always.[p]Thanks,
Jay

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29147,00.html[/ul]

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    turkey1_web.jpg
    <p />BlueRidge,[p]This picture was taken the day after, after half the turkey had been carved - but at this angle you almost can't tell, hee-hee.[p]We brined a 14 lb bird per AB's honey brine recipe for 12 hours, let dry after brining in fridge for 12 hours, then wiped with vegetable oil and put on 325 degree Egg. It took about 4.5 hours to reach 160 in the breast, and at 140 internal I kicked the dome temp up to 375-400 to get the browning I wanted (still wasn't brown after over 3 hours at 325. That last kick-up in dome temp browned her nicely.[p]VERY good results - very moist and flavorful. Company said "best turkey they've ever eaten blah blah . . . " I think it's a winner.[p]Oh, I did ice the breasts for 45 minutes prior to putting on the Egg.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex

• BlueRidge
    Options
    TRex,[p]Thanks for your thoughts...[p]Did you use the hickory like he suggested. I don't think I would do the alluminum foil thing but rather just throw a large hunk of hickory in there...or perhaps apple....or perhaps both.......[p]I had planned on doing the ice/breast trick as well. Worked well for the Thanksgiving bird.[p]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BlueRidge,[p]I didn't use any wood. Poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge. There was still just a hint of smoke flavor from the BGE charcoal - just the right amount, IMO.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    TRex,
    Thanks again.

• SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Options
    BlueRidge,[p]No but I did try Wegman's (a local northeast megastore) honey brined turkey recipe. Only thing is, I was not up to dealing with the awful weather we had up here ( I get better as the winter progresses) so I cooked it inside. But I am definitely wanting to try this on the egg with a turkey breast or turkey.
    [ul][li]Wegman's honey brined turkey[/ul]
  • SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Options
    P.S.[p]Forgot to add, it was really good. You definitely could taste a "flavor" to the turkey from the honey, and I added a little bit of maple syrup, too.[p]
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    SyraQ,
    I ordered one but FedEx failed in delivery. I had to run out & buy one off the shelf to salvage Thanksgiving a year ago.[p]No more mail order meats for me.[p]I can buy any of their products here in Metro Kansas City without facing the unknown delivery.[p]

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    BlueRidge,[p]I've done ABs Honey Brined Turkey 4 or 5 times. I have always gotten good results. I've even done a honey brine and then used the mad max butter and spices on the turkey and white wine gravy. Great combination.[p]If you every get a chance try Emeril's Funky Southwestern Bird. The brine for that recipe is really good also.[p]John
  • houndog
    Options
    JM3,[p]I can second the recommendation for both recipes. This year was the AB honey brine and it was excellent. The Emeril recipe definitely kicks up the flavor a notch.