Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shrimp & grits recipe?

Options
Georgie
Georgie Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a recipe for that classic Southern favorite - shrimp and grits? I've looked around a bit, but haven't found one.

Comments

• Georgie,[p]Does this help??[p] Shrimp, Cheesy, On Grits Toast
    [p]Ingredients
    3 14 Ozs Can Chicken Broth
    1 1/3 cups quick-cooking Grits
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 tsp Salt
    2 Tbs Tbls. Butter (melted)
    1 8 Ozs. Pkg Cream Cheese (softened)
    1 Tbs Half-and-Half
    1/2 cup grated Italian Cheese Blend
    1 tsp Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin rub
    1/2 lb cooked, peeled, and deveined Shrimp (chopped)
    1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese

Preparation :
    1 Stabilize egg at 400° with plate setter (legs down) and (4) 2” ceramic spacers on top of the platesetter.
    2 Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in grits, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, or until grits are thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and salt. Remove from heat.
    3 Spoon grits into a greased 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Cover, and chill at least 2 hours, or until firm. Un-mold grits onto a large jellyroll pan with melted butter. Place grit rounds on pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn grits, and bake 45 minutes more. Set aside. (Up to this point, the recipe can be prepared ahead. If preparing early, cover and refrigerate grit rounds until you are ready to top with shrimp mixture.)
    4 In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and half-and-half, stirring until combined. Stir in cheese, parsley, and shrimp. Place grits rounds on a pizza screen. or other perforated grid. Top each grits round evenly with shrimp mixture. Top mixture with grated Cheddar. Place pizza screen on ceramic spacers and bake until lightly browned and heated through.

Recipe Type
    Breakfast, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Terence Fails (BigT)[p]Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '07, BigT[p]Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

[p]

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Georgie,[p]Food Network is a great place to start.
  • Georgie
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Terrific, thanks!

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Georgie,
    When I think of Shrimp & Grits one name comes to mind. Paula Dean

[ul][li]Paula's Shrimp and Grits[/ul]
  • jwirlwind
    Options
    Georgie,
    The way it is made in Charleston, Grits, heavy cream, butter and shrimp. Adding too many other ingrediants will screw it up. [p]MC Jerry

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Jwirlwind,[p]Being a native Sandlapper myself I agree with you. The best S&G are like the best fried green tomatoes, which is to keep them simple. In the case of S&G use stone ground white grits and heavy cream with minimal amounts of fish or chicken stock. The secret to making good grits is to stir when appropriate and avoid those lumps. We always held out on additional ingredients but did offer all sorts of toppings--cheddar cheese, spring onions, diced bacon or ham, and sweet red bell peppers. More of a garnish.[p][p]
  • jwirlwind
    Options
    BYC,
    You hit that one on the head. [p]MC Jerry

• Smokin Gator
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]I have used the Paula Dean recipe several times and it is really good.[p]The one thing I do differently is to make the grits a day ahead and put them in a tall straight sided glass. Then I take the grits out of the glass and they are in a log. I cut slices about 1 1/2 inches thick and pan fry them.[p]MMMmm
  • Georgie
    Options
    Smokin Gator,
    Great idea, thanks!

• Georgie
    Options
    BYC,
    Terrific, thank you! If there's one thing I can do its keep things simple! :)

• Georgie
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    Thanks for the link!

• Georgie
    Options
    mb168,
    Wow, so many recipes! Thanks, this is great!