Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt crust on roast

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somewhere I saw a recipe for a roast that is encased in a salt crust that is broken away and discarded when the roast is done. I just bought a box of Kosher salt and a similar recipe is on the box. I have 2 questions:[p]1) Where did I see a recipe like this for the egg?
2) My doctor is threatening me with blood pressure medicine and salt is becoming an extreme luxury. Granted you discard most of the salt, but I have to think a lot of it is going to get into the meat. Does anyone with a food science degree (who could that be?) know how much sodium will be in the meat?[p]Thanks!
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    The recipe is in the "new recipe section" and it's titled "Dr. Chicken's "Old English Prime Rib Roast".
    Rich

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]My wife has a heart problem that requires very strick adherance to a diet with sodium intake being the highest priority. I do not hold a food science degree, but have lots of hands on experience. There is no way you can reasonably estimate the sodium remaining in the meal. Certainly eating pieces nearer the edges will provide more.[p]Lowering your sodium intake while enjoying great eats is not hard. Adjust your eats and avoid the pills.[p]The recipe is from Doc Chicken. He has adjusted it from the original and I have no link to the newer version. Hopefully, someone else can provide.[p]Spin
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    The following is stuff I have gathered from this forum regarding Mr Chickens recipe for prime rib. I'm not sure who posted the info[p]THE FOLLOWING IS A CLARRIFICATION OF MR CHICKENS RECIPE
    I generally do each of the items seperately, but it does not really matter. I added the tenderizer after I had 2 back to back problems with slightly tough Prime Rib roasts. I didn't want that, so the next time, I added the tenderizer. I haven't had a problem since. I strongly recommend the "Adolf's" Unseasoned, No MSG and No Sodium.... tenderizer because it will not add any unwanted "extra" taste.
    The recipe should say; 'add 1 Tbsp. flour and 1 Tbsp. water to 1 cup of rock salt'. You can use rock salt, ice cream salt or Kosher salt for the salt mixture. I believe Sprinter and One Feral Kat use the Kosher salt. The kosher salt, is a whole lot more appealing! If you used 2 cups of rock salt, I would suspicion the mix was a little too dry to really form a paste.
    I don't know why it would not turn brittle! Unless, it was the lower cooking temperature. I've never had that problem, but also, when I used a large pizza stone as a deflector plate, it would block too much of the heat rise. Try going with a medium pizza stone in the large as a deflector plate. It will give about 1.5 inches of clearance around the stone and the heat will rise very well.
    The elderly lady that gave me the recipe, insisted that the temperature be between 500 degrees and 550 degrees. She was very adamant about that! When I first tried the recipe, in the oven it set off every smoke alarm in the house and the garage. It was annoying to say the least! Every time we tried it in the oven, it did the same thing. We finally disconnected the alarms while we were cooking it. I adjusted the temp. recommendation when I adapted the recipe for the Egg. [p]Since Dr Chicken doesn't post here anymore and I was never able to get the amendments made to that recipe he says to add one egg white to the paste and it will make the outer shell far easier to remove. Also you can use kosher salt instead of rock salt. As for my personal experience I use a rule of thumb that for each 2.5# of prime rib I use 1 c of kosher, 1/2 T flour, 1 t of water. That will make ample amount of paste/crust. [p]I hope this helps
    Rich[p]