Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Dogs?

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Ya'll, I saw mention of Fred's Franks below and after a Google search, decided it was too far to drive for lunch. I do see that he uses a BGE to prepare his dogs & all. My question is, do you boil your dogs before putting them on the grill? Also, what's your favorite brand? Just a little something to start the wheels turning on a Saturday morning...[p]Rascal

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Rascal,
    I don't boil mine before. I would have to say Hebrew National or Nathan's. [p]Mike

• BBQbutcher
    Options
    Rascal,[p]Maverick Ranch makes an excellent All Beef Frank that's 'almost' good for you ;) Expensive, but good dog flavor.[p]I don't boil them, but cook them on a raised grid, turning a few times until done.
    [ul][li]The Barbecue Butcher[/ul]
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Rascal,
    same as mike in abita.

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    Rascal,
    The best hot dogs we've ever had are Koegels.

• Rascal,[p]Being a Chicago-land guy for a long time I am partial to Vienna Beef hot dogs (and polish for that matter). Grilled or steamed with a steamed poppy seed bun and all the fixings...[p]The natural casing product has a great snap to it...[p]Cheers!
    [ul][li]Vienna Beef Hot Dogs[/ul]
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Rascal,[p] Growing up in Buffalo NY we are Sahlens hot dog fans, they are all beef natural casing dogs that are great. Can't get them in Ohio but we always bring alot back on our trips to Buffalo. One dog we can get here that is as good as a Sahlens are Kowalski brand from Detroit.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rascal,
    hebe nationals and/or nathans (w/the skin on). . .both sold at most grocers .. . i alwasy simmer mine in a bottle of beer first, then a quick grilling (if i even bother to grill them at all) ... . just as important is the mustard. . . i like a good 'deli' mustard. ..at minimum, i always have a bottle of gulden's in the fridge, but when i can get it i love this mustard that is made in brooklyn called "BA-TAM-TE" ....its really great .. .

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Rascal,[p]Fred does not boil his franks first. He does make lots of slices in the casing. He uses Pearl franks and around here they stand at the top of the list. When Fred prepares them for us there's nothing better![p]Fred has a unique method of raising and lowering the dome on his XL though and maybe we can get one of our artist / engineers to explain his hinge set up and the pulley system. As Fred said, "I raise and lower the dome more times in a day than most Eggers do in a month."[p]Our Final Eggfest of the season will be announced soon and all are welcome.
  • Sundown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Aren't you supposed to be policing the forum and not making waves? I'm calling The Chubbster now, before you get too far out of hand! ;>)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sundown,
    not me, chubby and cwm were put in charge today. ...i'm just getting ready for my son's flag football game and then tiki fest!!

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Rascal,
    Depends where you are, but the dogs you buy in the deli taste noticeably better, IMHO.[p]Also, Fred uses apple wood for smoke.
    I've heard on numerous occasions first timers at Freds who didn't know he was there, they just followed the smell because they needed to find out what smelled so good..

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Lizard Dragger, Ever hear of "Rochester Hots"? Some peeps I knew from that area of NY raved about them...[p]Rascal

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sundown,
    Here is Fred at work Carey.I wish we would have gone to see him and get a hotdog when we went to Martha's Vineyard in September....It's over a 1000 miles to go get one now.
    Larry

[ul][li]Fred's Franks[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Getting old can't remember whose in charge any more! Have fun at Tiki Fest sounds like it's going to be a load of fun.
  • BBQbutcher
    Options
    Rascal, those are made by Heids. Also, Hoffman Franks out of Syracuse makes a great lil white hot dog called a "Coney" or a "Snappy" with a little kick to it :)[p]About once a year a few of chip in and get some flown in. Both of the above make an excellent regular NC frank.

• Rascal,[p]I always visit Heids stand when I go up north and visit my uncle in Syracuse. Last summer I also brought back 20 pounds of Hoffmanns regulars and 10 pounds of their Coneys for my freezer. Nothing down here in NC comes close to 'em. Oh yeah, just to be fair I always take some of my NC style pulled pork up to share.