Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterflied Chicken Question

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Do I "flip the bird", so to speak, while I'm cooking? Keep it bone side down? Frist attempt. Indirect, 300*, till breast is 165. Any advice is welcome

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Wardster,[p]Start with the bird skin up and flip about 1/2 way through the cook (approx. 1.5 hours @ 300°F) to brown the skin. You can kick the temp up to 400-450°F towards the end if the skin is not browning as well as expected.[p]Spin
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Spin,[p]Footnote:[p]I do my butterflied birds direct. I missed you saying you were doing them indirect in my above post. I would recommend a direct cook using my above comments and your cooking temperature.[p]Some cooks need to be exposed to the glow of the fire to cook really right. Chicken skin is one of them.[p]Sorry for any confusion,
    Spin

• Wardster,[p]Check out TNW's directions. It's great every time. My only change is that I do it at 300* and I do not raise the grid.[p]Kevin
    [ul][li]Naked Whiz Spatchcock Chicken[/ul]
  • Wardster,
    The link to my website has already been posted, so if you like you can follow those directions. I had one update to the recipe, though. In my photos, I've supported the raised grill on some firebricks set on edge. DO NOT place any part of the chickens on top of the bricks. Those parts of the chicken will not get cooked, I presume because the hot air isn't getting to the bird in those locations. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz