Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low heat

Options
kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have no problem getting the temp up high but this weekend when we smoked ribs we had a hard time keeping the heat below 250. I am cooking my first pork butt this weekend for pulled pork and I would like to cook it all night around 230 like the recipe in the "Egghead" cookbook. Thanks, Kim

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Kim,
    250 is a good low temp. most larges seem to settle in at 250, and at the grate, you are around 225 or so.[p]trick is to stay below it, and start choking the vents so that the thermometer slows and stops at (or just below) the desired temp. don't go over and try to come back down.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hey stike,[p]i've been thinking about the "don't go over and come back down" rule, and i think it might be why some newbies, that are not very good firebuilders yet, have their fires go out overnight. i say take it up to 300 if you want, then damper it down further to get to 250. i do it all the time and it ensures you get a good base fire going and i think it has less chance of burning straight down the middle and going out. whatcha think about all that?

• Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p] I agree, I feel a bit more comfortable with my fire when I do it that way.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I concur. I did that today for country ribs and a spatchcock chicken. It has always been my habit.[p]I go up 25-30 degrees above my target, give the coals a bit of a stir to make sure the fire is spread out, then damper it down. The ceramic hasn't really heated up much at that point and it comes down pretty easily. I think the problem is if you let it burn at a higher temp for 30 minutes or more, then it takes a long time to get it down.

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    The big change that I made that kept my fires going was to open the bottom vent completely with the daisy barely cracked. I think trying to limit the air intake kills a lot of fires. I agree, if you don't start with a good base fire, you may be goin' to Sonny's on Sunday.[p]Love your awesome food pics. Scott

• Fidel,
    also, when you put in 28 pounds of cold pork butt, starting at 300 isn't a problem and it drops pretty quick. just set both dampers in the "low n slow" position (bottom at 1/4", top at half a petal) and see how she stabilizes.[p]consider the trex steak method where you get the egg to 700, cook open domed for 3 minutes, then close the dome and close the dampers, it only takes 20 minutes to get down to 350 roughly.[p]oh... and the stoker and the guru make the entire discussion go away.

• stike
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    well... i dunno.[p]only 'X' amopunt of lump burns at 250. get it going good and strong at higher temps then coming back down means you're just choking out the lump you've lit until it's back to 250.[p]kinda like revving your car. i don't see how it helps.

• stike,
    but i like to rev the car.[p]i don't know either... it was just something i've thought of a few times.[p]i guess the real point is, it's possible to cook some bread first, then convert to low n slow and smoke something. i think some new people might have the idea they have to hit 230 exactly and never go over if they want to smoke something.[p]hey, i have a friend that works at dimella shaffer there in boston. would you go over there and kick his ash for me, i mean make him get an egg? hahaa

• stike
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    you know, too... we're quibbling over 50 degrees. hahaha[p]i guess i really mean, don't take it to 500 and hope to dial it back to 250 in no time.[p]so let's call it even![p]i have a friend at dimaella shaeffer too. small world!
    i was at cbt for about 15 years. sold three eggs when i was there. and only one guy had eaten any of my food. the rest were people that finally gave in to the smell from the microwave when i reheated my lunch.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Well, I was the king of poor fire starting, when I began using my new Egg. It was very very frustrating so, I adopted this method of taking the temp up to 300° then stabilizing down at 250°, as well. As soon as it gets to 300°, I'm adding wet wood, a cold plate setter, drip pan and grid. Not to mention cold meat. So, I found that it wants to come down anyway, and the hot coals are intense enough to endure these additions. But...[p]If I take the time to build the lump using the puzzle placement one piece at a time, like I read somewhere, I don't need the extra heat and can start shutting down when the temperature is about 50° below the target. [p]There really is something to the puzzle method even if it's messy and a lot of trouble. At least it is for me.[p]
  • Just Plain Mike
    Options
    stike,[p]I am seeing the same 25 degree differential between dome and grate with grate on platesetter with legs up. Grate is lower by 25 degrees.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    routinely i start high up near 300 with the cook, drop down to 220 during the night and kick it back up to 300 after i get near 180/185 degree internals. i just feel safer cooking boneless butts this way ( and i dont need to think about food safety issues with internals getting up to temp or not cause they will with this method). for brisket low and slows its 235 at the grill the whole cook, but for pulled pork you can give it heat and it doesnt seem to affect anything except for more crunchy bark which i like in pulled pork. ive seen fires getting low during the night but ive never had one go completely out, i think thats more not paying attention and checking on things atleast once during the night.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it