Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Again, help on the Flat Iron Steak please. Finally found one.

Options
Carolina Wizard
Carolina Wizard Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't seem to get any help here, everybody's pre-occupied. I finally located some Flat Iron Steaks at Food Lion. I was just wondering if you recommend a rub, marinate or just plain. Been waiting a good while to find one of these and I don't want to mess it up like my beef ribs. Thanks!

Comments

• Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,[p] I use Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. I have found they taste better with less seasonings.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    I use DP's Raising the Steaks rub for most of my beef cooks. Mad Max has a recipe for Flat Iron steaks. he may chime in after work. Good luck, Tom

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,[p]I rub with just a touch of yellow mustard, a heavy dusting of DP Cowlick, and TRex them until medium rare.

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Fidel,
    Thanks much for the reply. I don't have the name brand rubs and typically make my own. I am planning to try some of those out but haven't yet. I've got all the ingredients to most rubs and usually throw together something that works pretty good. There is no recipe for the Flat Iron that I've seen and just wanted it to be better than my last beef ribs attempt which were too sweet. Thanks again, Fidel.

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,
    Thank you! I am leaning that way at this point. [p]

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Bajatom,
    Thanks for your reply, Bajatom! I am going to give DP's a try soon.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    Then just do salt and pepper. That cut of meat is delicious. DO NOT MARINATE IT! If it's thick enough, do the T Rex otherwise just roast it.

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Got the message, thanks Bob!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    Sometimes I use a Flat Iron in place of Flank or Skirt steaks for Fajitas...(or sammich's)
    if the others aren't available, don't look good.[p]It's specifically butchered to give you good texture and flavor....without the high price tag.[p]I like minimal seasonings here too.[p]A good smoked kosher or grey salt and cracked pepper will do you just fine.[p]I make up a rub with Ancho chilis and espresso pwdr that's pretty darn good on beef!![p]Any of the Dizzy Pig rubs are top quality as well!![p]I cook'em close to the flame...pretty much hot'fast.[p]P10100212-1.jpg[p]About 450'ish....for 12-15 mins...flipping every 3 minutes to your desired doneness![p]P10100272-1.jpg[p]Rest...slice and enjoy!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Max's favorites are hanger steaks, not flat irons. Similar in size but from different parts of the beast entirely.[p]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,[p]I like a dose of DP's Red Eye Express on this and any other full-flavored steak. Cook it quickly and let it dwell until your thermometer says its where you want - I'd recommend nothing over 135 - then let it rest a bit. [p]Was it you that mentioned it seemed thin? These are rarely much over 3/4 inch and 1.5 pounds.[p]And if Chubby's flat iron tastes as good as it looks, I'd drop everyone elses' recommendations and do it exactly as he suggests!