Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat iron steak

Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For all of us that do not live in California we are fortunate enough to have available the flat iron steak cut from the chuck that is unreal.I like it better than flank or hanger steak.I would even put it above a tri-tip. I did one tonight at 600 for four minutes per side and let it rest 10 minutes and it was awesome.I called my butcher and he cut me two of them and when I opened the package one side had a fat cap on the bottom of the steak.I assume it was the bottom.So I said to myself it is time to get the fillet knife out and trim all of that fat off and I am glad that I did.It made for a good cut of thin sliced super tender cut of meat.So my bottom line is--you guys can keep your tri-tip on the West coast and we Easterners do not have to fret as to where we can find it as most butchers in the Mid Atlantic area have heard of tri-tip but don't have it.To top it it all off the beef flavor is fantastic plus being very tender.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Darnoc,[p]Luckily in beef country, all are available. A university in Nebraska helped develop the marketing plan for flat iron steaks. They are a great cut, as are tri-tip and hanging tenders. I wouldn't want to give up any of them.[p]I will go out on a limb and say standing rib roasts are coming down a notch in my book, if I can get one of the above 3.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    6a692530.jpg
    <p />I can usually get nice 5/8" thick ones.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc,[p]Having no luck in Charlotte NC finding anyone who has them. They seem to know what they are, but just don't have them, and won't cut them. (Costco, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market nor Lowes Foods). What a hick town!
  • DynaGreaseball,[p] Try Krogers if you have one near you. My parents Kroger in Fuquay-Varina has them.
  • My son in CA asked me a few months ago if I'd tried a flat iron steak, he said he'd just had one and they were great. So a few weeks ago I decided to look for one here in Lake Havasu. The first super market I went to I spoke to someone in the butcher dept. who had been there 20 years and didn't know what it was, but had heard of them. Then I went to Albertsons and got into a lengthy conversation with the butcher there who impressed me with his knowledge. He told me that with a days notice he would have some cut for me. He had a name tag on, so I called him by name, when he learned my name was Mike he called me Flat Iron Mike and thus the handle. A few minutes later as I was leaving the store he called to me and gave me about an 8 oz. flat iron to try...no charge, just let him know how I liked it. Bottom line...it was great. I'm doing two rib eyes tomorrow for company, I love both cuts. Sorry for the long post, but flat irons are a great discovery for me.
  • LizardDragger,[p]Thanks. That's the only other one I haven't tried, I think.