Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sEGGcurity!!

Options
Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have recently joined the ranks of the new Eggers. I have been cooking every chance I could. I have done the ABT's, Chinese BBQ'd pork loin (thanks MadHatter), and a whole roasted chicken and a spatchcocked chicken at the same time. Now there is a connection/bond between me and my egg. I live in an apartment community, and the townhome I live in has a patio on the ground floor. The egg is sitting out there, somewhat hidden, but still highly accessible to anyone. My question is, does anyone have a good suggestion to securing my egg? I originally figured that if I cooked on it enough, it would be too hot to move. But that is not a viable solution. I think I saw a post about a week ago, where someone had what looked like a cable running through the hinge into a chainlink fence. I would rather not have to unlock it everytime I wanted to cook. I am open to any and all suggestions.[p]Thanks in advance,
John

Comments

• vinnysprimerib-007.jpg
    <p />Warthog,
    i used a bicycle cable and lock to secure my eggs to a fence behind a bar. left it on while cooking at 325 dome for 4 hours.[p]cover it up with a trash can turned upside down to remove the temptation to open the dome and mess with it.

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Could only imagine someone's hands from trying to carry Martha or Mario away after cooking some prime rib.

• Warthog
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    That is the post I saw! I have a JobBox sitting out there as well that holds tools and BGE supplies. I think I will chain it to that and then, possibly throw the garbage can over it as well.[p]thanks again for the help.

• Buster Dog BBQ,
    it's not the best neighborhood down there. it was really for the cooldown after, but i wouldn't put it past people down there to wheel a hot egg with 38 pounds of prime rib in it down the road to the trailer park![p]i also cabled martha to the rv front wheel at the brickyard while we were at the race and overnight.

• Warthog
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    How far is Farmersville from Columbus? We moved west two years ago from Blacklick. The house is still sitting out there! I can't give it away.

• Warthog,
    about an hour and a half with no one in front of me! i'm just west of dayton.

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    That's smart. [p]I am putting some privacy fencing on my deck this weekend. Got three eggs sitting back there. We live in a pretty good neighborhood and if they were not visible from a side street I wouldn't worry about it. But hey, I will have a wind block now as well.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Warthog,
    I know how you feel but I'm in a quiet neighborhood. At least I hope so. Here is a picture of my one and only place to keep my eggs.[p]This is the patio, it's the front of the unit, my front door it to the right of cactus. The second picture is what anyone walking will see. [p]No, they are not secured. (:~[p]Good Luck,
    Bordello[p]Cactus001.jpg[p]House007.jpg

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Bordello,
    Maybe you can make some Barrel Cactus covers to slip over them to make 'em look like you're growing Cactus'.[p]BarrelCactus.jpg[p]You're welcome.[p]Time for a 4:35 AM bed check.[p]Spring "One Yawn Away From A Snore" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Good one Leroy, sorry I missed you. Hope ya got some sleep. I took half a pill so I did a few hours.[p]Hope you're on the mend.[p]Bordello

• ranger ray
    Options
    Warthog,
    i'd build a three sided box outta rough cut lumber to hide it when not in use...and put some sorta plant on it ...if they( crooks) are that bad .... i'd drill a 3/8's inch hole near the bottom ... run an eye bolt through it and secure it with a chain to solid object or attach another eye bolt in the concrete patio floor using a 1/2 inch expandable masonry anchor(red head)... they also sell battery operated door alarms at walmart that have a magnetic switch and scream out a 130 decibel holler when the two magnetic fiels are broken( ten bucks)....perhaps all three if you live in a rough part of town...some folks would steal your egg even if they don't know what it's for...rr

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Warthog,
    I had a cable w/loops on it and a master lock through it and one of the holes in thehinge assembly. This set up did not interfere w/the opening and closing of the EGG. I then took the other looped end of the cable and hooked it to an o-ring that I had shielded to my concrete slab. The corner that my egg sat in didn't allow the cable to be seen but until I put it in a table I kept it locked up.[p]I was so worried about my small egg that I finally relinquished custody of it to my sister who lives in a better neighborhood. Good luck w/what you decide.[p]Jan