Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Face Roast??

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished braising beef cheeks for today's dinner and got to thinking that they might be candidates for a low and slow smoke treatment like a brisket. Has anyone tried this?
Dave

Comments

• HolySmokes
    Options
    campCook,[p]well, buster...[p]first you're going to have to define beef cheeks! :)[p]
    HS

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    campCook,[p]Did you do them with the vegetable trinity, tomatoes and wine? And where did you find them??[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • CampCook
    Options
    campCook,
    They are just what it says, the cheek material off a bovine. All butchers have them but they usually end up in hot dogs or stew meat. They are on display at most mexican style markets here in Phoenix such as Ranch market and Food City.[p]I was turned on to them after reading Tom Colicchio's book (think like a chef)where his diners gave them rave reviews.[p]The ones I bought yesterday were not trimmed so I trimmed excess fat and "skinned" off a tough membrane. I braised them for three hours at 300 degrees (cover on) let them cool over night and rewarmed them today.[p]It is the most succulent meat you will ever eat. I cooked several short ribs in the same batch and everyone was going for the cheeks.[p]Anyway, I see the potential for a dynamite possibility here but need to think through the possibilities. No reason to reinvent the wheel if someone else has done it.
    Davr

• HolySmokes
    Options
    campCook,[p]sounds like what we know here as Halibut Cheeks.[p]used to be dirt cheap, since no-one wanted anything but th filet, but now that everyone's caught on...[p]three times the price of regular halibut meat.[p]dang! was much better before :)[p]HS