Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question about cooking a steak for the first time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a nice, thick t-bone steak today. Cooked baked potatoes first at about 325 for 2 hours. Took them off. Got heat up to about 600 or higher. To get it this high we took off the cap completely. I was advised to put steaks on for about 3 minutes on each side at this temp. When I did I kept getting a fire that was burning the meat on the outside. We finally put the cap back on and when we did the temp. went down to about 400-450. Cooked a total of about 10 minutes and was they were really good. We're just not sure about how to cook this without having so much trouble. We like the steaks very pink - not well done. Any suggestions???

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Donna,
    For steaks you want to sear the outside and then roast them until they are done. So, you should sear them at 600-700 degrees for as long as it takes to get the outside the way you like them. I do 2 minutes on each side, myself. Then you close the vents and roast the steak until the inside is 125 for medium rare. You should have an instant read Thermometer like a Thermapen if you want accurate meat temperatures. Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Donna,[p]Welcome, Looks like you got some decent advice. If you liked it, stay with it, maybe just shorten the initial sear time. Myself personally I prefer the T-Rex method.

[ul][li]T-Rex 101[/ul]
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    Donna,
    I don't know...
    only know about cooking a steak for the 2nd or 3rd time :)
    HS