Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Bag question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Y'all-
I'd like a few ideas of what the board uses as a container for brining? I like plastic bags, but with the larger cuts of meat I've been using since getting a BGE, the 1 gal zip locks don't always work. My better half doesn't like me using a (brand new) trash bag.
I'd like your input.
Thanks

Comments

• Al B,[p] Personally I prefer the actual taste of the meat, so I don't bring. However, you can go to a bakery and get the food grade buckets they are about to throw out. They come in various sizes. Trick here is whether or not your wife wants a big ole bucket in her refrigerator..[p]
  • Al B, Depending on what you're brining, a large plastic container with a snap-on lid might be the answer. They come in various sizes and are used for commercial cooking, catering, etc. If fridge space is a problem get a few bags of ice and use a cooler.[p]Rascal
  • Al B,
    turkey bags work well, although careful picking them up as they aren't the most sturdy. [p]tim

• Al B,next time you at the grocery store look in the plastic bag area. They should have 2 and 3 gallon zip type bags. They may have even larger. Most stores carry them. We use them alot.[p]Good Eggin'
    Poppasam

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Al B,
    depends on how big a chunk-o-meat you're brining, but these huge 10 gallon Zip Loc bags hold a lot!
    IMG_1929.jpg

OTOH come turkey time I like to brine my birds for 3 to 4 days and in order to keep wifey happy by not messing up the refrig I use this cooler with one of those huge bags.
    IMG_1424.jpg

Keeping ice on top and draining water from the bottom is a snap. A Polder probe inside moniters the internal brine temp for safety sake.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Al B,[p]I've used the extra large bags that RRP mentioned and they work great. I've also used kitchen trash bags inside a cooler and they work fine. I like to use bags because it keeps my brine and ice separated easily. I've also used a large pot and put it in the refrig in the basement. That worked fine too. Depending on the weather, you might get away with brining a turkey inside a turkey pot like the one I use for my turkey fryer. I never brine anything but turkey or chicken.[p]Good luck

• RRP,
    Great Idea! I havent seen those large Zip Locks- they would be ideal. My wife thinks the trash bags are not "food grade", which is probably true, but since I'm using them at chilled temps, figured it was pretty stable. I'll pick up some of those big Zips and try the probe.[p]Slightly OT- I usually brine the turkey about 24 hrs- why do you do (much) more, and what salt/ water ratio do you use for a 3-4 day brine?
    Thanks
    Al