Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tomatoes

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Friends!
I plan to head to the GA State Farmers Market tomorrow morning and pick up more tomatoes from GA farmers... they've been really good lately! Anyway, I usually make some oven dried tomatoes in the fall for winter... I was thinking about doing them in the Egg and adding a little smoke... any suggestions on what type of wood to use?

Comments

• Dover_Gal
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    I would use fruit wood myself, to compliment the fruity taste of tomatoes. Something mild, maybe apple?

• GirlyEgg,[p]I have never tried drying tomatoes. How do you do it and how would one do it in an egg?

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]Use any subtle wood...(and be judicious) as they pick up smoke qiuckly![p]Are you halving or spliting them...?[p]P1010066-2.jpg[p]Taking out some of the jelly will help them dry a bit faster...and concentrate the flavors more.[p]I often use dried whole twigs of Rosemary.[p]Evans[p]
    Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    Apple, cherry, pecan, peach...something light/fruity.
    Smoked tomatoes make a nice salsa! I smoke on a rack over a drip pan, 225 or less if it will hold and burn clean smoke for 30-40 minutes. Pre-cut an X in bottom skin of the tomato and when you remove and plunge in cold water they'll slip right off. Ramp up the Egg, remove grid and char some red and green bell peppers right on the coals. When charred all over, put em in a paper bag to steam and about half-hour later remove and the charred skin slides off pretty easy. Along with the smoked tomatoes it makes for an interesting twist to salsa.
    You can also grill onion for the salsa, but to me that's a bit overkill; I prefer the crisp bite of the onion bits over softer grilled pieces.
    Just a thought for those tomatoes!
    Qfan

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]I do roma tomatoes on the egg and they are awesome. I'll usually cut them in half, seed them, sprinkle with salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh minced garlic, and fresh rosemary (or any other fresh herb you might have). Then they go in the egg indirect on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Fruit wood goes nicely with them and I'll smoke them for 3 hours or so at 250 degrees. They will shrivel up somewhat but won't "dry" completely. The flavor is very concentrated and incredible. Sometimes I'll top with an artichoke paste.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• GirlyEgg
    Options
    QBabe,
    That's basically how I do them in the oven, but I prefer using thyme and chervil. I sprinkle fresh ground pepper and salt on top and then with a pinch of sugar (ala Martha Stewart) which helps make up if the tomatoes are not that flavorful. I have some apple wood, so I'll use that for smoking. I'll probably do a bit longer so that I can get a more "dry" tomato... maybe I'll try some of my flavored olive oils for drizzling...hmmmm[p]... all for Eggfest practice! I'll post pics...

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]Sounds great! You'll probably want to check them here and there. When I say not "dry", I mean not like dried in a dehydrator, but they are definitely shriveled and shrunken and not very moist, either. I also find some come off before others, depending on the size range of the tomatoes.[p]It's a fun cook and so tasty...![p]Tonia
    :~)