Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ready-2-go crust vs homemade

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Believe it or not, despite owning a super-peel, etc, I have NEVER made a pizza. Starting to get the call of the different (arooooo...oh, that's one of my hounds..sorry) so thought I'd dive in. Do most of you pizza pros use a ready to make crust or do you do your own? If ready to wear, umm, eat...what brand works for you?[p]Tanx.[p]mShark

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Most of the time I use ready made right from our bakery Publix. It really is good and easy to work with. If you don't have a bakery close by try your local pizza place they will sell you some. [p]Pork Butt Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    100_1536.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    all the chains here make their own dough, plus carry a few locally made doughs. ive made dough for thin crusts a few times but am still in the trial and error with them, deep dish is easier to make in a pan, i use my paella pan for it. with the store bought doughs im finding a little inconsistancy from batch to batch, might have something to do with how long its been on the shelf before i get it. its easier to make the first few pies at about 450 dome and then experiment going higher in temps as some of the storebought stuff burns quicker, maybe they added sugar or something that doesnt take the heat as well. its also easier to keep toppings to a minimum til you get things right. the first pie is a rescent thin crust with fontina and basil, storebought dough cooked at 800 degrees[p]2004_0214_012424.jpg[p]homemade deep dish, very similar to a pizzaria unos crust

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mollyshark,
    go to your favorite pizza parlor and ask if you can buy a ball of raw dough ... . that way you get your favorite crust without any work, other than rolling it out. .. thats what we do. .. .

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I prefer to make my own.Both the dough and the sauce.I have a dough that is down pat and will post it tonight when I get home.It is easy to do and one simple step that will make a big difference in the flavor and texture is to let the dough rise in the fridge for a second time over night.

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Morning mollyshark, Shame on you for not using that super peel. That's one of the coolest gadgets ever made, and will impress guests before the even taste your pizza. [p]I agree with the guys below. If you can find a good local source for dough, go for it. That's what I usually do. However, my favorite place is closed on Sunday, so I use Larry's(QBabe's Larry) recipe for dough. I like to substitute 1 cup of white flour with wheat for extra crispiness. Recipe is below--it's easy. [p]Have fun and don't forget to add a few fruitwood or oak chips when you put the pizza on. Scott[p]Well, it took a while for me to get it all written up, but here is Mr. Hyde's Pizza Recipe for those who asked.... [p]For the Dough...
    1 pkg. active dry yeast (NOT the Rapid Rise kind)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (105° - 115°)
    3 1/3 cups high gluten flour (King Arthurs)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp extra virgin olive oil [p]In a 2-cup measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, maybe 3-5 minutes. Using a food processor with the dough blade attached, add flour, salt and 2 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Using the dough setting, pour the yeast liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour will absorb it. Process until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Continue to process about 30 more seconds to knead the dough. Put a little olive oil on your hands and lift the dough out. Coat the dough with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil, transfer to a large Ziploc bag and seal bag. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour. Punch dough down and let rise a second time (another hour). When ready, put a little olive oil on your hands and remove dough from Ziploc bag. Cut into two pieces and form into 2 dough balls. Place dough balls on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten into 2 discs (about 1” thick). Let proof uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight. Makes two 14” pizzas. Meanwhile, prepare toppings for pizzas. [p]When ready, set cooker up for an indirect cook with platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top. Preheat cooker, setter, and stone to 550°. While cooker is preheating, spray pizza screen with Pam and make pizzas. [p]For the Pizzas...
    Roasted garlic infused olive oil (about 1 tbsp)
    1/2 to 3/4 cup red sauce (spaghetti, marinara, pizza, whatever you have)
    Parmesan cheese (about 2 tbsp), grated
    Mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 lb), shredded
    Roasted garlic (5-6 cloves), chopped
    Toppings (onion, peppers, olives, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms)
    ***above estimated amounts are for one pizza [p]Take a dough ball and roll out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. For best results, throw pizza dough and spin in the air so that centrifugal force moves the dough to the outside of the circle to form a thicker crust around the edge. If you’re not comfortable with throwing the pie, you can stretch it by hand. Place the dough onto the pizza screen and shape as needed. Lightly brush dough with garlic-infused olive oil until lightly coated. Add sauce, starting in the center and spreading in a circular fashion out to the edges, using the bottom of a spoon or ladle. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Then sprinkle with about 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Add roasted garlic and additional toppings, if desired. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Place pizza screen with pizza into cooker and bake for about 5 minutes. Check pizza for bubbles, and if present, poke with a long-handled fork to deflate. Also, turn pizza 180° to get an even browning of the crust. Let cook 3-5 more minutes. If it looks like the top is done but the crust needs a little more browning, use the peel to lift the pizza off the screen and place directly on the stone for another minute. Leave the dome open so the toppings don’t get overdone. Remove from cooker and let sit for 5 minutes before eating. [p]Enjoy,
    Tonia
    :~) [p][p][p]

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Whenever undertaking something new, I try to minimize the variables (number of things that can go wrong). So I buy pizza dough from local pizza joints (some I find are better dough than others) for $1 - $2 per pizza.[p]I know a guy who buys the dough already rolled out and ready for topping ($2.) but I like to toss the dough in the air and screw it up myself![p]Have fun with it!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Darnoc,
    I do the same, it really develops a much better flavor with the overnight rise in the fridge. -RP

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I use the pizza crust recipe in the recipe file here by Spin.[p]H

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Pork Butt Mike,[p]For ease of use, the Publix dough is pretty good. I think I pay $1.69 per ball - and that makes 2 12" pizzas.[p]The taste could use a little work.[p]I am now experimenting with several recipes trying to find that perfect thin crust with good flavor.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I make my own dough. This lets me try different variations just as you might for cooking chicken, ribs, etc. I make the traditional dough most times but sometimes add shortening or butter to try and get a more pastry like crust. We have a local chain named Ledos that I love which has a more pastry like crust. Sometimes I add herbs to the dough or maybe beer, honey or whatever I want to try out. You can also try thick vs thin crusts. I use a breadmaker to prepare the dough so it is very easy. I recently tried letting the dough sit overnight but had the stone break when I dropped the pizza on so don't have any results to tell about.

• Zilm-disabled
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I buy my pizza dough where I work. The Company that I now work for (Bari Italian Foods) is an Italian Food Wholesaler so I can get the really good stuff cheap Picked up a box of 48 12" dough balls a month or two back for around $14, gallon of sauce for $3, 5 lb bag of 50/50 Mozz/Provolone shredded cheese for $16. Add meat or whatever other toppings that you like for a total costs of arund $3 or so per pie. They do sell to the public on Thursdays from 8-4.

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1584.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    I made thin crust pizza sat. night. Sauce, cheese basil and oregano. I'll send you the link for thr dough.
    DSCN1586.jpg<BK>
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/recipe.jsp?recipe_id=R40
    Have a great pizza.
    Ross

• mollyshark,[p]The only pizza I have done is take n bake from Papa Murphy's and it is fantastic on the Egg. I did get to judge the Ne State BBQ Championship this last weekend and they had pizza as an extra entry the ones we had at our table were awsome.[p]PS[p]I want to purchase a ThermaPen from you, how do you handle the money. Due want a cetified check or bankdraft. I awsome you need to add shipping, can you tell me what the total cost would be.[p]Thanks,[p]JerryS
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Fidel,
    I add to the dough granulated garlic and Italian herbs.
    It's pretty good, We like it like that.[p]Pork Butt Mike