Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

italian pizza sauce recipe needed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been mixing salsa, tomato paste and everything that I can find and I still don't get a good italian taste to my pizza sauce. Does anyone have a good recipe that has that "italian twang" that sets off you taste buds that has you reaching for the second piece before you finish the first. I am hungry for a good one right now. Thanks, from Odessa, Fl. It's hot down here!! Send some rain too.

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    Well... I have to say that the Trader Joe's Pizza sauce I used was mighty tasty! I grew up in an area with lots of ethnic communities and it reminded me of the sauces on the pizzas at Petrillo's and Lariccia's.... [p]If you are lookin' to make it on your own, I'd start with the Stewed Tomatoes with Italian Seasonings... salsa has cilantro, which makes it more "mexican"... paste makes it bitter, so you may need to add a bit of sugar... try sauteing some oregano, fresh basil and garlic in olive oil and then add the stewed tomatoes and about 2 tbsp of paste and a pinch of sugar, simmer for a few minutes, then let cool and puree... sometimes, it tastes better the second day![p]Good Luck!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    I make a quick pizza sauce using canned of tomato sauce. Heat it up in a sauce pan with minced garlic, dried oregano, and basil.

• Grate Expectations
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    A great source for both sauces and pizza dough is the recent book by Peter Reinhart, "American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza". He has a recipe for a no-cook pizza sauce that we have used many, many times. The last time was in combination with his recipe for a New York style pizza dough (which was great and wonderful to work with). In addition to the recipes, he gives a wonderful personal tour of all the major capitols of the pizza world: Naples, New York, New Haven, etc.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    here is a pic of the kind i use
    101_0264-1.jpg
    it is better than every pizza place in town. i get mine at publix [p]happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]you can order it online here[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    Thisa is from Baby Boom BBQ
    3/4 cup crushed fire roasted tomatoes,drained(he uses Muir Glen)if you can't find use any good quality plum tomatoe and crush it with your hands.
    1 Tbls Unsalted tomatoe paste,NO ADDITIVES AT ALL(that was hard to find but the Richford brand has none with the exception of 20mg sodium in a 6oz can.
    1 Tbls.Reserved fluid from crushed tomatoes
    1Tbls. good balsimic vinegar
    1 Tbls evoo
    3/4tsp fresh chopped basil or 1/4 tsp. dried
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 clove garlic.pressed
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    dash of freh ground pepper[p]Makes enough for a 14 inch pie[p]Add about 1/4 of olive oil in a small non stick fry pan.Over medium heat,slowly cook tomatoe paste till it gets a rich mahogany finish.You will see the the color change when it starts to simmer.THIS IS A MUST.Carmelizing the paste gives it that simmered for hours taste.[p]Next,saute garlic and basil in remaining oil over low-medium heat until garlic is browned.Add remaining ingredients and cook 10 to fifteen minutes,stirring now and again.Remove and let it cool down to room temperture before putting it on your dough.
    Take 2 Tbls.olive oil (not evoo)if not what you have
    1/2 clove pressed garlic
    1/2 tsp sugar
    mix up
    coat it over your palms and rub on top of the crust.
    This will prevent the crust to get soggy.
    Enjoy.[p]PS Babby Boom I made the comment if you did not have regular olive oil use what you have on hand.Hope that is ok.

• Topo Gigio
    Options
    smoked-mullet, my family is Italian. This is the recipe I use as a base for most of my cooking. The two most important keys are:
    1. The quality of the tomatoes. We jar our own tomatoes every September to last the year. The best canned tomatoes you can buy for Italian tomato sauce are Italian San Marzano. If you can't find San Marzano then my next choice would be any canned tomato that is a Product of Italy. You can also substitute "passata di pomodoro" aka Tomato puree that is a product of Italy.[p]2. The simmer.[p]Recipe:
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 Spanish onion, 1/4-inch dice
    4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh italian flat leave parsley
    1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
    2 (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved or equivelant amount of tomato "passata di pomodoro".
    Salt [p]In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the parsley and carrot, and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes to 1 hour until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer. [p]I wish I was as comfortable about BBQ as I am about Italian cooking.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    Great sauce recipe.
    Wanna be in charge of the pizzas at the Florida Eggfest in the spring??
    Bring the parts someone will help you cook. See you then!

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    FWIW ...
    I spent a few years running a major pizza operation in the Boston area. We NEVER cooked the sauce for a pizza. Given quality tomatoes, you can really get a away with just tomatoes, basil, and some pecorino romano. Maybe some pepper. No salt. Really fresh tasting ..
    This was a recipe that was used in all our shops:
    1 part crush tomatoes
    1 part pizza sauce (or quality puree)
    1/2 part water
    basil
    romano
    HELPFUL HINT: If you do not add the romano to the mix, you can keep the mix for many(5?) days in the refrigerator.[p]Bear in mind that what shows above is for a NY style pizza. I would "cook" sauce for a sicilian pie. I don't know why, but it's how I was raised I guess.[p]OOH! A poetry moment ...
    I love pie.
    I don't know why.
    I never cry
    And I'm not shy
    When eating pizza pie.
    My, oh my
    I love my pie![p]Anyway ..[p]I have not yet found a canned pizza sauce that tastes FRESH enough for me, so I just make my own puree from Cento canned tomatoes. They usually taste great.[p]I'll be making pizza again sometime soon and post the process again. I think I did this once before, but I'll have to search the archives. There is a pretty good "treatise" on pizza sauce linked below that was written by Jeff Varasano. His stuff about dough is a bit heady, but his discussion of sauce might prove interesting.[p]Best of luck ... make that pie,
    Peter[p]

[ul][li]Varasano's NY Pizza Link[/ul]
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Richard,
    If no one else jumps on the pizza train, I will happily carry the banner![p]Later,
    Peter

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    smoked-mullet,
    An excellent pizza sauce can be found here:
    http://theorganicitalian.com/pizzasauce.html